FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interested in buying Black Magic URSA

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phillip Knapp
Interested in buying Black Magic URSA
on Mar 2, 2016 at 10:07:43 pm

So the past couple years I've been working with the Sony NX5U and the boss man says to look into potentially a new/better camera. I've heard great things about Black Magic and the price range is great. Obviously though, this is a HUGE jump from the NX5U and I was wondering if anyone with experience could give me tips on what I'll need to make the transition along with gear as it's just the "core" camera (no lens, eye piece, nothing). Appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

erik cantu
Re: Interested in buying Black Magic URSA
on Mar 4, 2016 at 6:13:13 pm

What sort of projects do you shoot?

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

Phillip Knapp
on Mar 4, 2016 at 6:26:50 pm

Mostly interviews and stand ups, b roll of corporate events

Return to posts index

Phillip Knapp
on Mar 4, 2016 at 6:30:28 pm

I should also clarify that if I were to get a Black Magic camera, it would probably be the URSA mini, not the URSA

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on May 1, 2016 at 5:09:10 am

Hey Phillip. Did you end up buying the Mini? Your thoughts?

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 15, 2016 at 4:15:31 pm

Don't think a cinema camera like the ursa is the right choice for this application. Try an ENG cam. Do you really want footage you need to grade and for the most part manually focus and expensive media with limited amount of shooting time and large file sizes in post? Do you really need the swap out lenses?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

john mahoney
on May 2, 2016 at 10:42:38 pm

If you are looking for a great camera that is a step up from what you have now, but can be had for a good price, I would recommend the Sony FS100. Get the Meabones Canon EOS adapter, not the light boost. (limits the lenses you can use).
I have had one for about 5 yrs, a great workhorse with the ability to get "Cinematic images". Having said that, I also have the Black Magic cinema 4K, and the Ursa will arrive tomorrow ( the big not the mini ). I have gotten all my cameras off Ebay, even the $25K DVCam I got almost 20 Yrs ago. Look at the FS100, small light weight, AVCHD is a good format for space saving. Files are not to huge.
Check this out
by a guy named Cody Cha, a lot of his stuff is with the FS100. He has probably moved on to something better, but you can see how good this camera can be. Black Magic 4K cinema camera is strange and a little unpredictable, I don't use it so much so I might not be all the used to it. I anricipate a bit of a learnign curve with the Ursa as well.

Return to posts index

Ryan Schwalm
on Jul 11, 2016 at 3:03:31 am

I agree with everyone else here. We own both the URSA and URSA mini and though they've been amazing cameras for us, they're not really the best option for interview set-ups, though they will obviously do the trick. We like the URSA because it gives us a huge dynamic range and upgradable sensor (which we're getting the new 4.6k shortly) all for a great price point. The URSA mini has nearly the same capabilities but is lighter. Though honestly, for the type of work we do, weight isn't top priority.

For a small crew, small set up and quick pace, these types of cameras might not be your best bet.

-Ryan
ww.leewayfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]