FORUMS: list search recent posts

speedbooster for the BMCC

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
speedbooster for the BMCC
on Jan 25, 2016 at 5:47:36 am

I have the BMCC ef version.

I understand tht the speedbooster gives extra low aperture and most interestingly, I saw on YouTube that it changes the focal length turning the 2.5k into equivalent super 35mm sensor view.

I am looking into buying one, but I just want to use my canon ef lenses on my BMCC ef version. So I do not want to use the speebooster as an adapter for other mount lenses.

Does this make sense to do?

Return to posts index

erik cantu
Re: speedbooster for the BMCC
on Jan 25, 2016 at 2:26:54 pm

It does make sense, it just isn't possible. Metabones doesn't make a speedbooster for a BMCC EF mount to EF mount lenses. They only offer EF lens to MTF BMCC because the flange distance makes it work.

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jan 25, 2016 at 4:27:19 pm

interesting,

so basically if I would want to go for this I would need to buy the MTF version of the BMCC 2.5K. with the speedbooster EF to MFT.

This even though I only have ef lenses and will never use micro four third lenses.

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jan 25, 2016 at 5:07:51 pm

[Ali Quintana] "so basically if I would want to go for this I would need to buy the MTF version of the BMCC 2.5K. with the speedbooster EF to MFT.

This even though I only have ef lenses and will never use micro four third lenses."

That's 100% correct. Think of the MFT mount not as a lens mount but as a base platform for adapters.

The problem is that the flange distance of the SpeedBooster is designed for short flange camera systems. Going MFT though is a smart move as it will give you options for the future.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
RED Scarlet-X
2015 Macbook Pro 15", 2.5 Ghz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jan 25, 2016 at 5:48:21 pm

The problem is that the flange distance of the SpeedBooster is designed for short flange camera systems.
So will this still be a disadvantage when I go MFT?

What type of other advantages would MFT mount give opposed to EF mount?

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jan 25, 2016 at 5:55:48 pm

Sorry, was not clear. That is the problem with using the SpeedBooster on the EF version. MFT IS a short flange camera system so the SpeedBooster is perfect for this.

Other advantages are the low light performance and increased field of view that come with the SpeedBooster. You could adapt to Nikon, Leica R or M, or even PL lenses if you wanted to, and of course you could use MFT lenses, some of which are quite superb, like the Olympus Pro zooms, and the Panasonic/Leica primes.

I know that you own EF lenses but there may even come a day when you want to rent something different and the flexibility that comes with the MFT mount really can't be understated in my opinion.

RED Scarlet-X

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jan 25, 2016 at 6:55:38 pm

well well, OK, super....

so the mft mount can have all type of adapters for other lenses.

So there are no down sides....? 2.5k mft with speedbooster then it is...
total will be around 2700,- u$. but will be awesome. I may look for a good filter to minimise the moire and rolling shutter...... OR DOES the speedbooster get rid of that too.... (wishful thinking)

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jan 25, 2016 at 7:23:38 pm

Yes, MFT mount can adapt to nearly anything except mounts with even shorter flange distances like Sony E mount.

Honestly, no appreciable downsides in my opinion. If anything, you may want to be conscious of particularly heavy and long lenses when using any adapter and so you may want additional lens support but frankly lens support is often a must anyway. Even so, the build quality of the Metabones adapters is top notch and I would have no reservations about using them. Seeing as the SpeedBooster is also electronic and can control aperture, I think that you will have everything that you need.

Nothing can minimize rolling shutter as it is a consequence of how all CMOS sensors expose. Individual pixels are exposed one line at a time rather than the entire sensor exposing at once as is the case with a CCD. CCD's however are harder to manufacture at high resolutions and sensitivities and are therefore more expensive so CMOS won that war a few years ago. After Effects and FCPX both have tools to remove artifacts such as flashbanding but per rolling shutter the best thing to do is to try to avoid it in your camera movements when possible. Pan slow and steady and while some post tools might help but I couldn't speak to their effectiveness.

Per moire, Mosaic Engineering makes an aftermarket OLPF (Optical Low Pass Filter) that will dramatically reduce moire. Not cheap but could be what you are looking for. I've never used it myself but the company has a good track record with DSLR's and you may be able to find some users online with opinions on it one way or another.

http://store.mosaicengineering.com/BMCC-MFT-BMPCC-OAA-Filter_p_30.html

Hope this helps!

RED Scarlet-X

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jan 26, 2016 at 3:16:45 am

OK, great info.

I was checking with B&H, and here is my finding so far: I see that the speedbooster will need an additional power as the 2.5k is passive mft.
Quote: you need to use an optional 5 VDC battery connected to the Speed Booster's Micro-USB socket. Its a pitty, O already have a rig with swithtonic v mount battery, for the cam and the external monitor, for the speedbooster I will need another battery.... hmmmm.

Also the auto focus will not work. Not a huge deal, but do think its a nice extra feature on the ef 2.5k.

Hope Blackmagic will update to active 2.5k MFT soon.

I do think the 2.5K is one of Blackmagics best and stable cams, no fnp at all. I used it for 4 tv commercials and a short documentary so far. just great! I was going to get the 4K, but the FNP really scares me as I shoot lots of evening scenes which go really fine on the 2.5k.

Return to posts index

erik cantu
on Jan 27, 2016 at 12:02:01 am

You could buy a v-mount or v-mount battery that has a USB power outlet on it to power the Speedbooster. That way you don't need to have another battery to power it and you are already using v-mount batteries to power everything else.

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jan 28, 2016 at 4:43:50 am

i have the v mount switchronix v mount, to power the camera and an external marshal monitor.

Im going to check, i think I can only power 2 devices.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]