FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any updated info on Audio issues with the BMCC?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Baird
Any updated info on Audio issues with the BMCC?
on Nov 10, 2015 at 6:23:59 am

The firmware fixes for audio issues have been a moving target with this camera, but currently, to my understanding the DC offset has been fixed and some of the low end roll off in mic mode. Anyone know any current info (2.x firmware?)

Any recommendations for a specific preamp to boost mic levels before they hit the camera? Any best practices (that arn't a couple of years old)

Thanks for any info.

MB

Return to posts index

john mahoney
Re: Any updated info on Audio issues with the BMCC?
on Jan 22, 2016 at 4:32:31 am

I had been pleasantly surprised at the good quality I was getting from firmware 2.4. Both line in, with an external mixer, and direct mic in were working great. Today however, the direct mic in, has super low level
I have no idea why. In the past it was perfect with the exact same set up. Now I can not get a decent signal even with the mic-in level at 100% and the hiss is incredible.
I think I have some kind of pre-amp fail.

Return to posts index

john mahoney
on Jan 22, 2016 at 4:57:57 pm

I just dragged out my mixer, and sent the camera 1K tone at Line level and the camera responded perfectly at the line in setting.
Set the camera and the mixer to mic level and the camera is working fine at mic level.
Disconnected the mixer, and sent the camera direct mic in ( bat powered mic ) at mic level and now it works flawlessly in all settings.
So i guess the problem is fixed for now.
I know you may be tempted to feel that it was operator error, but I assure you I have been doing this for a long time.
The camera did have an issue. I don't know if sending it a line level signal did something to the internal switching, but it works fine now.

Return to posts index

Mark Baird
on Jan 22, 2016 at 7:37:01 pm

It is within my range of experience that sometimes BM gear just does random stuff.

I pretty much gave up on a hardware fix and just purchased plural eyes. I like not having the sound mixer tied to the camera anyway.

MB

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Jan 25, 2016 at 5:10:02 pm

[Mark Baird] "It is within my range of experience that sometimes BM gear just does random stuff."

Yes.

For the record, my preferred preamp system for the BMCC is the Sound Devices MixPre-D.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
RED Scarlet-X
2015 Macbook Pro 15", 2.5 Ghz Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]