FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about Black Magic Cams and working on a PC

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Orlando
Question about Black Magic Cams and working on a PC
on Jul 21, 2015 at 11:36:37 am

I'm toying with the idea of buying a black magic cam, not sure which one yet. I have no interest to shoot on a daily basis using raw. For me the option of shooting 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 in ProRes is enough.
But as a pc base guy, can I edit prores?
If not, what's the alternative with a black magic cam on a PC?
I can use Vegas or Premiere.
Thanks
P.

Return to posts index

erik cantu
Re: Question about Black Magic Cams and working on a PC
on Jul 21, 2015 at 12:40:50 pm

I recently switched from editing on a mac to a PC and I shoot with a BMCC and my workflow hasn't changed at all, I still shoot ProRes, edit ProRes in Premiere Pro on PC and export H.264.
The Premiere Pro on the PC can read the ProRes files just fine for editing. It cannot export ProRes files, but editing the footage you shot and exporting to any other format works perfectly for me.
If you need a higher quality export format, similar to ProRess 4444, etc, the Cineform codecs are high recommended.
Also, the Blackmagic cameras do also shoot to Avid's DNxHD format which is the same on PC and Mac and can be exported from Premiere.

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

Philippe Orlando
on Jul 21, 2015 at 2:59:25 pm

Eric, thanks for the tips.
Philippe

Return to posts index

Philippe Orlando
on Oct 24, 2015 at 1:27:50 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the BMCC only does Avid DNxHD formats at 1080p, correct? If I want 2.5K I need to shoot raw?

Return to posts index

erik cantu
on Oct 24, 2015 at 10:39:20 pm

ProRes is also 1080p. But yes, only RAW offers the 2.5K resolution shooting option. I'd love a 2.5K ProRes option on the camera.

Erik Cantu
Video Producer
RadioU TV & Animal Basement
14 years experience as a fulltime broadcast shooter, editor & broadcast designer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]