FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic Design Camera 4K, I plan on buying one!

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
on May 20, 2015 at 2:51:51 pm

Just wanted to find out if the FNP has been fixed.

I dont do a lot of night shots, but every now and then I do have these
productions. I currently do them with the 2.5K BMCC.

I know there was an update and the FNP was fixed. Hoping on some experiences about this.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Black Magic Design Camera 4K, I plan on buying one!
on May 22, 2015 at 12:55:07 am

[Ali Quintana] "I dont do a lot of night shots, but every now and then I do have these productions. I currently do them with the 2.5K BMCC."

The 2.5K BMCC handles low light conditions better than the 4K. Are your clients ready to pay more for the same product in 4K?

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on May 22, 2015 at 1:32:03 am

Yes, I can convince them, not way more, but yes a bit more for the extra resolution. But if there is FNP I dont think it will work.

I did hear they fixed this problem with updates.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 23, 2015 at 2:09:54 am

The fixed pattern noise issue was hit or miss even on the original run. I think the biggest problem now is that lack of low light capability, and setting the camera to ISOs higher than 400 is what makes you at risk for FPN.

Frankly, I think the Ursa Minor 4.6K is the one to look at. I would pass on the Production Camera.

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on May 23, 2015 at 2:27:30 am

Yes, but knowing B Magic, it will take a while, they always give a delivery date and then year later it appears. Same happened with the BM 4k design cam.

Secondly, the big ursa also had the FPN so I expect the Mini Ursa to have it as well...

Knowing this, I may have to wait very long... mostly when a new cam is released its also nice to just let it go for a year before buying it, that way ll the infancy problems will have been addressed..

but yes, if it was out on the market right now, I would lean more towards the Mini then the BM 4k design

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on May 28, 2015 at 10:46:39 am

I agree that it is probably worth waiting for the URSA Mini. The new sensor is supposedly much more sensitive with greater dynamic range which should all equate to significantly less noise. The original URSA had the same FPN because it is the same sensor and general processing as in the 4K production camera. Of course if you need something NOW get whatever you think will suit you and you can always sell it further down the line if another camera comes around.

Also with the same sensor as the 4K production camera and without the same noise issues is the AJA CION which is now on sale for $5000. Might be worth a serious look.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Nov 6, 2015 at 12:11:24 am

Hi, this was posted in May, now the mini ursa is still not out.

Question, I understand that people here have experience with the 4k production cam. How does it perform right now after all the updates???

I mean as far as FNP is concerned. I want to film 4K RAW.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Nov 16, 2015 at 5:45:18 pm

Just read the specs. for pc its only raw, while I know its a great codec it also creates very big files thus having to invest in new hardware. While mac users get better options. This makes this caera a no deal for me.

Why not include a dnx codec?

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Abi Tunde
on Jun 1, 2015 at 2:57:42 am

short films and event coverage. can you advise on the best lenses to get. so far am for a great wide angle lense, a prime and a standard lense with any two more lenses Keeping in mind that i want to shoot music videos for will the ok for short films and event coverage as well. I have a tight budget so not looking to go all out. Looking for good quality for decent prices.

also is reasonable/possible to use a MFT-EF adaptor so i can used canon lenses, if so got any good adapters in mind?

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Jun 1, 2015 at 1:53:08 pm

I use Canon ef 24-70mm 2.8. is a great lens... can get you very far.

then for the wide angle you can try Tokina I think its 12mm - 16 mm also at 2.8. It is not full frame though

I also have the canon 18mm - 135 mm which is also not full frame but its not a bad lens.

These are EF lenses and u can always use them for photography as well and they will be easy to sell down the line. although I would not sell my collection.

If you want to go cine lens then its a different budget.

But then again, have a look at this :

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/05/can-you-tell-difference-between-150-stills-...

Return to posts index

Julian Caushi
on Jul 20, 2015 at 3:24:48 pm

try with this link:

Very good conditioncinema lenses:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEGEA-1-1-8-F-9-8-mm-KINOPTIK-PARIS-79178-U-S-PATEN...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANGENIEUX-zoom-25-250mm-f-3-2-Type-10X25-T2-Lens-Fo...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]