FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which ND Filters to get?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Brown
Which ND Filters to get?
on May 13, 2015 at 9:24:25 pm

Hello all,
I've just invested in a couple of Zeiss CP.2 lenses for my Blackmagic Production Camera (25MM T2.1 + 50MM T2.1) and am looking for IRND filters.

I found that Schneider has a 114MM Adapter Ring that should fit directly onto the CP.2 lenses, and they have 4.5" round filters. I would use a matte box with filters except that I want the flexibility of shooting on my Ronin and don't want to try to rig up a heavy clip-on matte box.

My first question is which two filters to get (I can only afford two right now). I live in Oregon, so it's frequently cloudy but not always. Clearly the amount of light varies greatly from day to day, but if you had to choose just two options which would they be?
I'm leaning towards either a .6 and 1.5 or a .9 and 1.8.
Any thoughts?

Lastly, does anyone have experience with the Production Camera versus the Cinema Camera in terms of IR contamination? Is the Cinema Camera worse or the same as the 4K?
I'd really love to just buy more ND filters and not have to spend the money on IRND and be limited to two since they're about double the price...

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
Re: Which ND Filters to get?
on May 28, 2015 at 10:49:15 am

You need IRND with both cameras at high stops of ND. Get a Schneider Tru-Pol Circular Polarizer and Schneider Platinum IRND .9.

Co-President at fourB Productions, Inc.
Blackmagic Cinema Camera, RED Scarlet-X
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 16GB RAM
2008 Mac Pro 2.6 Ghz 8 Core, 10GB RAM
AJA IoXT, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Blackmagic Mini Monitor
Adobe Production Premium CC, Avid Media Composer 7, Final Cut Pro Studio 3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]