FORUMS: list search recent posts

cinema dng and fcpx

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam dewhirst
cinema dng and fcpx
on Nov 11, 2014 at 1:37:47 am

i've got a bmpcc and a lens now i need to decide what format to shoot in prores hq or cinemadng?

i obviously want to get the best quality possible from the images.

if i shoot in cinema dng will i be able to convert these files to proxies in fcpx (eg prores) and then convert them back to cinema dng when i've finished editing? if not can somebody let me know what workflow i should use. i don't have any other applications besides fcpx.

thanks
adam

Return to posts index

erik cantu
Re: cinema dng and fcpx
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:48:08 pm

You don't convert something to a proxy, you create a new proxy files of the originals (likely the originals are cinema DNG's) edit those on the timeline, and re-sync the dng's you need for final project from the timeline. Proxy files are just lower data rate video file copies of the footage you shot that can be edited easier because of their smaller file sizes.
I would shoot Prores HQ while the camera and workflow is still new to you. Prores HQ is still a very, very high quality format and is edit ready right out of the camera.
Sorry I can't help much with workflow, when I edit my BMCC RAW video, I just edit and grade in Resolve.

Return to posts index

adam dewhirst
on Nov 11, 2014 at 10:07:26 pm

thanks for your reply,

my question is is it possible to create proxies of cinema dng files in fcpx or do i need some other application?

Return to posts index

erik cantu
on Nov 11, 2014 at 10:35:04 pm

I am not familiar with all that FCPX does, I edit in Premiere and Resolve. I suspect it could, if it can import cDNG files.
I suggest downloading the free version of Resolve Lite, it is the preferred software for the Blackmagic cameras as they are from the same company. Resolve can absolutely create proxy files of your cinema DNG footage.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 12, 2014 at 3:59:58 pm

Here's a You Tube tut using Resolve Lite 9 to make ProRes files from RAW. The current Lite version (I thinks it's v10 or 11) is free.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]