FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam dewhirst
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon
on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:56:42 am

can anyone tell me if this lens will work well with the bmpcc. i'm currently looking at buying some lenses for the bmpcc and there are so many options out there to choose from that i'm having trouble deciding. Is there a list anywhere of lenses that are compatable with the bmpcc?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Lens for Canon
on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:48:53 pm
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Oct 22, 2014 at 12:30:40 am

Hi Adam - your BMPCC has a micro 4/3 mount (sometimes called micro four thirds or MFT). Only micro 4/3 lenses or lenses adapted to micro 4/3 mount will work with your camera.

Canon EF lenses are a special case. Their apertures default to the wide open position unless powered electronically by a Canon compatible mount.

If you get the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Canon, you will need an adapter with manual or electronic aperture control. Adapters with built in manual aperture control are relatively inexpensive. Electronic adapters, especially Metabones speed booster/focal reducers, can cost almost as much as your lens.

Here is a list of adapters that will work with your BMPCC and the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 for Canon EF (prices approximate as of this post):

Manual aperture control:

• DSLRKIT Canon EF to micro 4/3 adapter with aperture control - $31

• Electronic aperture control:

• $399 Metabones Canon EF to micro 4/3 adapter - (back ordered)

• $598 Redrock Micro Livelens MFT Active Mount for EF Lenses

• $599 Metabones EF to MFT Speed Booster, 0.71x Magnification, +1 stop bright...

• $659 Metabones EF to BMPCC Speed Booster, 0.58x Magnification, +1.67 stops ...

• If I were you, I would get the Nikon mount version of this lens and an inexpensive $21 Nikon G to micro 4/3 adapter or, if budget permits, a $489 Nikon to micro 4/3 Speed Booster with 0.71x magnification and 1 stop ....

That would be a lot less trouble and expense.

Either way, this is a great lens for the BMPCC.

Here's what people are doing with the Sigma 18-35 on the Pocket Cinema Camera:

With straight adapter:

With Speed Booster:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
    Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

adam dewhirst
    on Oct 21, 2014 at 9:06:45 pm

hi bill,

thanks for your great response. i don't know how i came to choosing the sigma 18-35mm for my first lens but in light of your words i think i'll stick with it.

in terms of the Metabones Nikon G Lens to Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with Micro 4/3 Mount Speed Booster, if i purchased this instead of the cheaper adapter does this mean my bmpcc will be compatible with canon ef lenses?

cheers
    adam

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
    on Oct 22, 2014 at 12:29:45 am
    Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Oct 22, 2014 at 12:30:23 am

>in terms of the Metabones Nikon G Lens to Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera with Micro 4/3 Mount Speed Booster, if i purchased this instead of the cheaper adapter does this mean my bmpcc will be compatible with canon ef lenses?

Sadly, no. For compatibility with Canon EF lenses, you need either a Canon EF to micro 4/3 adapter with a manual aperture ring or a Speed Booster like those I linked to above:

Manual aperture control:

• DSLRKIT Canon EF to micro 4/3 adapter with aperture control - $31

• Electronic aperture control:

• $399 Metabones Canon EF to micro 4/3 adapter - (back ordered)

• $598 Redrock Micro Livelens MFT Active Mount for EF Lenses

• $599 Metabones EF to MFT Speed Booster, 0.71x Magnification, +1 stop bright...

• $659 Metabones EF to BMPCC Speed Booster, 0.58x Magnification, +1.67 stops ...

• Again, hope this is helpful and best of luck!

Bill
    Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]