FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building a video production studio and need serious advice

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Schnell
Building a video production studio and need serious advice
on Oct 14, 2014 at 9:13:19 pm

Hi all,
Hoping someone can help me with my unique situation. I just started working for a bank that is creating a production studio - complete with set and state of the art cameras. I've been tasked with coming up with an equipment list and I must say, I'm used to just using what I've been handed, not seeking things out. So I'm a bit lost on some of the equipment I should purchase. Here's my situation:

We're purchasing 3 black magic cinema cameras - 2 will remain stationary in the studio, and 1 will come out on field shoots. The field shoot camera needs to be very versatile and have the ability to pick up and go. I'm purchasing several wireless mics with portable transmitters and receivers (Sennheiser EW-112p G3 systems). Assume the budget is unlimited, but don't get too crazy :)
These are my questions:

- What type of rigs/cages do I need?
- What type of shoulder mount works best for the field?
- What tripods should I get?
- What batteries work best for my situation? Do I need any adapters?
- Do I need a matte box? Filters? If so, what kind?
- What kind of base plates do I need?
- What other types of cables or inputs do I need?

Essentially, please help me soup these cameras up :)
Thanks for your consideration!

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Building a video production studio and need serious advice
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:38:02 pm

While you'll get good advice here, I like to see products and hold them in my hands. If you have a knowledgable reseller in your area, I would certainly seek their advice. Have you looked at the BM Studio cameras rather than the Cinema Cameras. They might be more suitable for your studio application. They have an integrated 10" HD monitor, talkback, 4-hour battery or ac adaptor, tally, 3G-SDI and optical fiber I/O, XLR connections and more. To me, this may be a better solution than 2 Cinema Cameras.

If you do some research, you'll find many recommendations for the various items you need for your BMCC field kit. A well-stocked reseller will show you options for every item. If you don't have a local reseller, try calling one and talking on the phone about your needs. In fact, call a few and compare answers. When you start getting the same recommendations, that can guide your decision. If you feel comfortable with a distant reseller get your management to authorize a trip to meet them in=person and see the gear they're recommending.

Good luck on your quest.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.3, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
Re: Building a video production studio and need serious advice
on Oct 18, 2014 at 7:46:00 pm

Sounds like you need to hire someone with more experience who lives in your area to spec out a system for you and provide training.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]