FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Black Magic Cam?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Orlando
Which Black Magic Cam?
on Sep 28, 2014 at 8:02:20 pm

Hello,

I'm in pre production and was counting on a Red from a local Cable TV station, but the availability is unworkable. So now I'm looking at the cheapest solutions to come as close as what the Red, the Scarlet to be precise, would have given me.

The difference in price between the three models of Black Magic Cam is not that huge. I'm not sure I understand the 2.5 K model?

I certainly do NOT have a contract to be distributed in a theater, so it's not like I need to shoot 4K at all cost. I was going to use the Red because it was free.

So which cam should I get? I have experience shooting, I've shot a film before with a Canon XH A1, 6 years ago. Since them just small shorts.

Thanks for any input
Philippe

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Which Black Magic Cam?
on Sep 29, 2014 at 3:34:21 am

Hi Philippe - even if you're not planning theatrical distribution, if your budget supports it, you should shoot at 4K (UHD) with a Super 35mm sensor.

UHD will make your life a lot easier in post - allowing for full HD resolution crops and "camera movement" within the frame.

And Super 35 will get you closer to cinematic depth of field than the smaller sensor on the 2.5K Cinema Camera.

If your picture includes fast moving action or camera moves, you should also seriously consider a camera with a global shutter to eliminate CMOS "skew" and "jello".

The only Blackmagic cameras with these features (Super 35, UHD, and global shutter) are the $2995 Production Camera and the $5995 URSA EF ($6495 for the PL mount version).

If you can afford it, I recommend the URSA. Pro sound inputs, dual CFast card recording and a large, bright built-in monitor make this camera much easier to shoot with than the ergonomically challenged Production Camera.

Here is what URSA can do:

This is a serious production camera that will be competitive with RED - for a lot less money.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your picture!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Philippe Orlando
on Sep 29, 2014 at 7:09:45 pm

Well, you do work for Black Magic Camera, don't you?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:26:03 pm

I wish. Maybe they would give me a free URSA :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]