FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions before purchasing...

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Barry
Questions before purchasing...
on Aug 28, 2012 at 4:39:16 am

I want to pull the trigger and purchase a BMCC... but I have some questions that I have not found basic answers for.

1. I currently have a mac pro and a macbook pro. My Mac Pro is equipped with; 2 x 3 Ghz Dual Core Intel Xeon, 4 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM, Running OSX 10.6.8.
I have a fiber channel card with a 7TB raid, A Black Magic Multibridge Extreme IO, AND ATI Radeon HD 5770 PCIe video card. I am still running FCP Studio 2 6.06.
My Macbook Pro is a 2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM, also running OSX 10.6.8, and FCP Studio 2 6.06.

WIll my machines support the BMCC? I know I need a thunderbolt adapter or card, and I realize that working with 2.5K RAW images will be clunky at times. But my goal is to create a work flow where I can use the footage as PRO REZ where possible, and use DaVinci to color grade RAW images when projects dictate that it needs to be done, and when the post time is available. I would then work in a telecine way and color my selects, and export them to Pro Rez and then do my editing in FCP.

I do not want to update to FCPX yet, as there are still too many things still not supported that I need in my work flow.

Will BMCC work with my systems, and if not, can I upgrade my existing hardware, or do I need new machines entirely?

Please help with any info you can share....

db

db

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Questions before purchasing...
on Aug 28, 2012 at 4:52:53 am

Your hard drive system isn't going to be the bottleneck, nor is your processor.

DNG files are easier to work with than AVCHD or H.264, and you shouldn't face a major hit performance-wise.

I would upgrade the RAM to 8 GB though, since RAW processing requires as much RAM as you can throw at it.

Take a good look at Da Vinci's hardware configuration guide. That should answer a lot of your questions.

If you need help rigging it, I've written a guide here.

Hope this helps.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Aug 28, 2012 at 5:49:17 am

As Sareesh says, your Mac Pro is fast enough to edit RAW CinemaDNG files, but double-check BMD's info about graphic card requirements for Resolve. If you do need a new graphics card, a basic one that will work with Resolve is relatively inexpensive.

Of course if you record ProRes 422 HQ then that will work great with your system.

However, if your MacBook Pro is an older model (especially one that does not have a Thunderbolt port) there's a chance its graphics card may not work with resolve. Again, check BMD's documentation.

My 2 yr. old MacBook Pro 17" (2.66GHz i7, no T-Bolt) can't run Resolve because its graphics card isn't compatible. Not the end of the world because I'll be shooting ProRes 422 HQ in the BMCC's "Film" mode for most projects. (I use FCP 7.0.3). Reportedly very high quality results @ 1/5th the file size & data rate of RAW CinemaDNG. We shall see, soon I hope! Cheers.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

David Barry
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:43:07 am

Thank you both for your input. I live and work on Maui in Hawaii, and I am very excited about the camera. I think it will be a great next camera for me as I currently work with an HVX200. I will be upgrading my RAM, and I will look into what I can do about a thunderbolt adapter or card for my Mac Pro.

db

Return to posts index

David Barry
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:25:28 am

one more question... do I have to use thunderbolt connection to access the footage on the camera, or can I take the SSD drive out and put that into an SSD drive reader and use eSATA to access the footage? Because I cannot find a thunderbolt card, or thunderbolt adapter cable as of yet, and neither of my machines have a thunderbolt port.

db

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 28, 2012 at 7:30:42 am

eSATA is fine - any way you can read that SSD is fine; Thunderbolt is not necessary for that purpose, and you're right, there aren't any add-on Thunderbolt adapters. It's either built-in or you can't have it.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Integrator
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonnenfeld
on Aug 28, 2012 at 8:07:08 am

Unfortunately there are no Thunderbolt adapters or PCIe cards as Thunderbolt requires that it is part of the motherboard largely due to its carrying of DisplayPort protocol. In this way it must be designed in tandem with an integrated graphics processor or even a discreet graphics processor thats on the motherboard, IE a laptop. The Thunderbolt on desktop motherboards has been designed with workarounds. I'm not sure exactly how it's done in that case but I'm sure a quick google will tell you. Either way I know there are no Thumderbolt expansion cards and time will tell if there will be.

eSATA is actually what BMD recommends for transfers. A SATA 3 card and reader will work quite well.

Panasonic HPX170, Canon 7D
2011 Macbook Pro 17", 2.3 Ghz Quad Core, 8GB RAM
AJA IoXT
Adobe Production Premium CS6, Avid Symphony 6, Final Cut Pro Studio 3
The College of William and Mary

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Aug 28, 2012 at 8:31:21 am

Yes, you can use an SSD card reader - mac formatted, of course.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/ - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 28, 2012 at 2:12:15 pm

Heck if your Mac Pro is accessible, it takes a min to shut it down, remove a sled and add and reboot.
Sure there is some danger involved but I do it so many times day to day at work (for other reasons) that its the norm.
Cant wait for my BMD version of the REDMAG 1.8 ;)

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Aug 28, 2012 at 4:45:54 pm

For my Cinema Camera, I've been using this Vantec drive dock that accepts SSD drives that has USB, FireWire 800, and eSata ports on the back. The FireWire 800 port is quite fast if you don't have an eSata port. It's a bit plasticy, but it's been working great so far.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Aug 28, 2012 at 6:08:08 pm

The Voyager-Q also gets good reviews. It's not bus powered, but has multiple ports including eSATA-3:
http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagerq.php

Since I wanted a relatively fast, bus-powered solution for my 2 yr. old MBP (no T-Bolt) that can operate completely off the laptop's battery when necessary, I bought a small 2.5" drive enclosure, leave its outer case off, slide the SSD in & out as needed, and use its eSATA-2 connection with a Sonnet dual-port eSATA-3 ExpressCard34 adapter. Works fine:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEQM0GBK/
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technologies/SATA6PRO2E34/

Less-expensive ExpressCard34 eSATA single-port adapters are available from Sonnet & other vendors.

I posted some real-world data transfer times for my 2 yr. old MBP, using various SSD & HDD devices, on BMD's forum:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?p=1169&sid=a0f7d760fc112eb4...

Cheers.

---

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 28, 2012 at 9:55:06 pm

Marco which SSD are you testing with?
Would appreciate a tip or two ;)

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Aug 28, 2012 at 11:25:39 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Marco which SSD are you testing with?
Would appreciate a tip or two ;)"

I purchased a couple of Crucial M4 512GB drives and also from SanDisk Extreme 480GB. So far, I like SanDisk Extreme the best. Until the camera starts shipping, I can't say specifics, but I can say the SanDisk operates perfectly, boots up quickly, and just overall seems better. Even though it's slightly smaller than the 512GB Crucial SSDs, I'm planning on going DanDisk Extreme from here out unless things change (I just picked up another one actually). Prices are low too.. starting at about $350, but stock is looking scarce... people are buying them for the camera I guess. Price-per-GB ratio compared to my SXS cards makes SSDs seem like chump change. Gotta like that.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Aug 28, 2012 at 11:31:25 pm

John Brawley just posted a few minutes ago on BMCuser that the new, shorter list in the BMCC user manual includes the ones BMD currently recommends.

I posted a link to the BMCC user manual here in this forum, but here it is again, and also the list from page 27 in the manual:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail?sid=27541&pid=27542&leg=true...

"SSD’s recommended for use with Blackmagic Cinema Camera and RAW 2.5K video recording include:

‚Crucial 256GB C300
‚Crucial 512GB M4 (firmware 009) ‚
Kingston 64GB SSDNow V+100 ‚
Kingston 128GB SSDNow V+100 ‚
Kingston 240GB SSDNow V+200 ‚
Kingston HyperX 240GB
‚Sandisk Extreme 480GB.

Please check the tech notes on the Blackmagic Design web site for the latest compatibility information."

The SSDs listed above, that BMD has tested as being fast enough for continuous BMCC RAW recording, can also be used for recording BMCC ProRes & DNxHD.

---

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:13:31 am

Thanks Marco, Ill consider the SanDisk option.
Now what are folks stocking up with as far as the smaller drives?
I was first gung ho for the big drives but I think a couple of small ones would be a safe bet in most cases.

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:18:55 am

[Eric Santiago] "I was first gung ho for the big drives but I think a couple of small ones would be a safe bet in most cases."

You can, but the bigger drives perform a little faster than the smaller ones which is something to consider.

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:51:48 am

[Eric Santiago] "Now what are folks stocking up with as far as the smaller drives?
I was first gung ho for the big drives but I think a couple of small ones would be a safe bet in most cases."

What will you use the "smaller drives" for exactly (RAW? ProRes? DNxHD? hand-off to clients? all?), and how are you planning to connect them to your computer(s)?

BTW, 3TB 3.5" Seagate 7200rpm SATA-3 bare HDDs are less than $150 now. Enclosures can be relatively inexpensive, and are available with a variety of interfaces (FW800, eSATA-2, eSATA-3, USB-3, or Thunderbolt.)

---

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Aug 29, 2012 at 2:56:28 am

Thanks Marco I was not aware that the smaller drives were slower.
Peter Ill probably be in the same boat as you for the first few months since both dont have TB MBP :)
I have a plenty of RAIDs to connect too.
My Mac Pro workhorse has an ATTO SAS with a GTECH eS Pro RAID attached.
I can adapt to whatever as soon as I get my hands on mine ;)

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Aug 31, 2012 at 6:30:56 am

I have strong feeling that you have mac pro that is to old.

I have one of those.

Look at the ram speed. seems identical to my machine that i had and which will not run resolve
without special gpu setup and some tweaking. and after that you get 8 bit imagery as well.

With mac book pro you have to have a model with nvidia card otherwise no magic.

see system profiler if you have 3.1 version machine then it is not supported by BM.

I hope i have been mistaken but i doubt it strongly.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]