FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Cinema Camera at News Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João Santos
Blackmagic Cinema Camera at News Studio
on Jul 13, 2012 at 9:50:42 pm

Is possible to use the Cinema Camera in a TV Studio for news using B4 mounts lens? And about the control like CCU control iris and color?
There is any software for that?
Would be a great for replace old SD Studio cameras for small studio.

----
Best Regards
João Santos
Portugal

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
Re: Blackmagic Cinema Camera at News Studio
on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:26:51 pm

Hi João,

The B4 to EF mounts I know of have a large optical expander in them to size them up to the larger sensor of the Canon DSLRs. So this could work, but then the Cinema Camera would then crop that magnification, which is a bit undesirable. I would guess that if a B4 to EOS mount exists without magnification (I doubt it), that there might still be some vignetting since the 2/3" CCD sensors are quite a bit smaller than the Cinema Camera's larger sensor (BMDCC just a bit smaller than Micro 4/3).

http://www.mtfservices.com/home.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flyp...

The Cinema Camera will definitely be used as a studio camera. I know some people that will be using it solely as such. You'll either have to use EF/EFS lenses, ENG style lenses that adapt to EF/EFS mount, or wait for a B4 adapter that doesn't expand as much as they currently do (would be a pretty niche product just for the Cinema Camera though).

Thanks,

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jul 14, 2012 at 3:38:49 am

[João Santos] "Is possible to use the Cinema Camera in a TV Studio for news using B4 mounts lens?"

As Marco says, "possible", but perhaps not practical or economical.

[João Santos] "And about the control like CCU control iris and color?"

The BMCC is a "cinema camera", not a TV news studio camera. No external CCU control, no genlock, no timecode I/O, and its progressive-only HD-SDI live video output isn't directly compatible with switchers which require an interlaced source (including BMD's own).

The BMCC's high quality internal recording capability is primarily intended for post-production manipulation, not live-switched broadcasts or live-streaming video.

When Marco says certain studios will use the BMCC, I think he means studios who are able to work with and take advantage of the BMCC's capabilities as a "cinema camera". That probably won't make sense for most TV studios, at especially not for live TV.

[João Santos] "Would be a great for replace old SD Studio cameras for small studio."

The BMCC's relatively low price and (likely) high-quality video will tempt many to apply it for uses previously handled by "traditional" TV cameras & camcorders. In some cases may work, but not without compromise and challenges.

Meanwhile, video recorded "cinema style" by BMCC cameras and post-produced will likely be broadcast and streamed everywhere.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Jul 14, 2012 at 4:50:19 am

Yeah, it's possible, but I agree that it's not the most ideal solution as a dedicated studio camera to a switcher. The main company I know of that's using it for studio cameras is a corporation, and not a broadcast studio. No way I could see a major broadcast studio using it as such. Just wouldn't make a ton of sense. But smaller operations could get by with it, albeit with some additional wranglings of gear. But if they double it for cinema style production, it makes sense.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Jul 14, 2012 at 12:36:24 pm

Hello,

I hope for a Blackmagic Broadcast Camera:
It could use the same sensor but with a B4 mount. The sensor is capable for readout at 59.59 fps.
(Also I read rumors that higher frame rates could come with a firmware-update for BMCC.)
This in an ergonomic shoulder balanced body; with in-build ATEM technology for tally etc; with V-Mount, big XLR, two SSD-slots, and big reachable buttons; but at the same time with BMCC's more-computer-than-cam philosophy is definitely what I want to see in the future!

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

John Brawley
on Jul 14, 2012 at 12:10:30 pm

Hello João Santos.

I would have thought there wasn't much good reason at all to use this camera in a TV studio for news, which I presume is broadcasting live ?

For starters, none of the regular controls for zoom and focus on the cameras work. You'd be limited to what you can get with LANC control, and though it works with EF lenses, it's not as good as broadcast style remote zoom demands or Focus. If you use b4 Lenses that were designed for SD television, I'd imagine you'd get very poor results when used with a HD camera, without even taking into account any other optical aberrations from the relay.

The camera also only outputs 1080p, which many switchers won't work with.

The camera will give beautifully recorded results. I just don't think it would be a very sensible choice for anything live. That's not to say you couldn't do it, but I doubt it would be worth the trouble,

jb

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]