BMCC 2.5K Raw versus BMCC4k prores

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ali Quintana
BMCC 2.5K Raw versus BMCC4k prores
on Mar 13, 2014 at 2:16:32 am

I have both cameras and I must say.

I prefer 2.5K RAW above 4K prores.

Raw gives so much more advantages in post which is not possible with prores. Ofcourse 4k raw will be awsome. But as it is now the 4K cam only gives prores.

Also, most cinemas are still 2K so with carefull framing your shots 2.5K can give great results... RAW that is.

I am interested in hearing other opinions about this.

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
Re: BMCC 2.5K Raw versus BMCC4k prores
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:33:23 am

Not me. I vastly prefer the 4K footage over the BMCC (RAW or ProRes). When properly lit and exposed, the extra DR in the BMCC isn't a must-have for us compared to the 4K. Why? The larger S35 sensor is really nice, the global shutter is really nice, and the 4K resolution makes for zero moiré, which, yup, is really nice. The astronomical amount of sheer detail in the 4K is mind blowing (1080 in the 4K is superior to 1080 in the BMCC). Even at ProRes 4K and HD, the 4K camera is our preferred camera of choice over the BMCC these days. We've been using the 4K since December of 2013, so we've had quite a bit of time on it at this point, which includes a lot of chart testing and real-world production.

Of course when 4K RAW arrives, you'll have a bit more latitude to push around in post as well.

But of course, to each their own. =)

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

Return to posts index

Ali Quintana
on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:26:01 pm

Yes, when properly lit and exoposed definitly.

I cant wait till the RAW update for the 4k will be released. That will be the bomb for that price. and then the 2.5K will be a nice B cam.... I guess.

I also feel that the prores 4K is really fantastic. I was not doubting. Just I do love the RAW so much.

Return to posts index

pekin azer
on Mar 23, 2014 at 2:33:14 am

will the 4K raw be uncompressed? i remember 4K raw not to be 1:1

how will it compare to 2.5K raw on greenbox/bluebox projects?

Any ideas anyone?

P.

You are what you make others feel.

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Mar 23, 2014 at 6:26:59 pm

[pekin azer] "will the 4K raw be uncompressed? i remember 4K raw not to be 1:1"

12-bit RAW has not been released for the 4K yet. It will however have lossy compression to deal with the large bandwidth requirements. As it is, 10-bit ProRes HQ 4K is 880 Mbps. Most 4K/5K/6K capable cameras that offer RAW are also compressed in one or several manners. A lossless/uncompressed 12-bit 4K RAW file would just be too large under current technology.

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | ORM Blog | Facebook | Twitter | BMCC Newsletter

Return to posts index

Jon Kline
on Mar 24, 2014 at 2:14:56 am

Even REDcode is compressed. I see most shooters around 8:1 lately.

The 5D mark 3 raw hack is umcompressed raw, and the amount of data is bordering on absurd for a 1080p image.

Return to posts index

Marco Solorio
on Mar 24, 2014 at 2:47:11 am

Just for the record, the BMCC at 2.5K RAW is always true lossless/uncompressed at a consistent 5 MB per frame but can do it since it's going to SSD. Alternatively, the Pocket Cinema Camera at 1080 RAW is mathematically lossless, but with file compression with file sizes that cut the size by around half depending on the image. In short, both the BMCC and BMPCC have no image compression, but the BMPC 4K will in fact have some, again, not foreign to any 4K/5K/6K RAW camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]