Disc speed test - what does it mean?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathias Andersen
Disc speed test - what does it mean?
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:16:11 pm

Hey CC. I just ran a disc speed test from BM. It looks like this:

http://cl.ly/UOs6

Does this mean, that I won't be able to read/write RAW files at all? Will I not be able to edit it?

I've edited a RAW file from a RED before. It went fine. I don't understand :(

- Mathias

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Disc speed test - what does it mean?
on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:12:40 pm

That's what it means. What kind of drive are you writing to? How full is it. How is it connected to your computer? More technical info will help us understand what's going on.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:08:45 pm

You can probably edit any format on any drive in reality, but it may not be a very good experience in many cases. The Speed Test is really telling you what formats you can expect to be able to reliably capture/playback without dropping frames.

Your numbers are very poor. A single 7200rpm SATA drive will usually push about 100, two such drives in a simple RAID 0 will hit 200. I just tested a 3-drive RAID via Thunderbolt and it offered throughput of well over 400!

At a minimum, ALWAYS use a dedicated hard drive for any video editing, with any NLE. That means never use the System drive, or the video will be competing with the OS and Apps for drive access constantly, killing performance.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Mathias Andersen
on Mar 21, 2014 at 4:08:42 am

Hey Jeff - As you're saying, I'm using the system drive at the moment. What drives would you use?

Do you think I would be able to just import ProRes without dropping frames? I wouldn't really be in need of RAW anyway.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:03:07 pm

Every system is different, all I'm saying is that every NLE recommends a dedicated hard drive for your media for best performance. You can "get by" with what you have, but for more serious editing you'd want to add a fast drive just for video.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]