FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMCC post workflow with Premier, Resolve and After Effects

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Gingold
BMCC post workflow with Premier, Resolve and After Effects
on Feb 27, 2014 at 7:00:54 pm

I am currently in Post on a music video that I shot in 2.5K raw using the Blackmagic Cinema Camera.

My basic workflow has been to import the raw footage into Davinci lite, execute a first pass grade, export Pro Res proxies, edit in Premier, export XML from Premier, then back to Davinci lite with my reassembled timeline for final grade.

For the most part this workflow is great. Resolve is giving me full freedom to grade. The video was shot on a sunny day in the snow so I'm finding the capability to grade the cinemaDNG files with all of their information just brilliant.

The hitch is that one or two of my clips I have used warp stabilizer in Premier. Obviously this part of my edit will not translate when I re construct using my XML in Resolve. I will definitely want to include stable versions of this footage in my final grade.

My final picture is 1920*1080. If I was running the full paid version of Resolve I would apply my final grade to the raw footage in Resolve, export 2.5k plates, warp stabilize in Prem or AE and then edit the result into the rest of my graded film. The lite version of resolve wont let me export 2.5k (There is a limit of 1920*1080) and the stabilization process does use the extra pixels to add the necessary crop (so this wont work.

Is there a way to import the DNG files into AE, warp stabilize and then export some kind of a QT or image sequence that will retain the information I need to do a full grade in resolve? Will exporting uncompressed or Pro Res 4:4:4 do the job?

The ability to do effects work on raw footage and then export clips that retain all info for the final grade seems to be an invaluable part of the workflow.

I have to admit color space is not my strong point so any tips on how to get footage through after effects with the colour space intact are most appreciated.

many thanks

Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]