FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMCC FILE Size Limitations

COW Forums : Blackmagic Cinema Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Martz
BMCC FILE Size Limitations
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:30:03 pm

I wanted to pose a question and open a discussion. I am a fairly new owner of a BMCC and I'm learning a lot about the camera. One thing I found interesting this week involved the maximum file length that I'm getting on the BMCC. I found myself recording some lengthy interviews and I was wondering if I should be "double punching" the record button periodically as you would with a DSLR when recording a lengthy event. That practice has been my "work around" for the limited file length present in most DSLR systems.

I knew the BMCC file had no "practical limitations" but was wondering if there were FINITE limitations. And it turns out that there ARE definite file size limitations. And yes…I know you are always limited by the size of your SSD.

So when I returned to the studio I quickly constructed a test to see how long I could record without the BMCC creating a new file. I also wanted to know if those file length limitations were different for different frame rates. Here is what I have determined so far:

1920 x 1080 / 29.97 will record for 128 minutes before creating a gapless new file. 230,169 Frames

1920 x 1080 / 23.976 will record for 160 minutes before creating a gapless new file. 230,169 Frames

These are the only frame rates I'm working with. I'm curious if anyone else has bothered with this and what this largely useless information means to anyone.

Sincerely,
Richard Martz

MagicMartz Media
Atlanta, GA

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
Premiere Pro
DaVinci Resolve 9.0
MAC 8 core
After Effects
PhotoShop
Illustrator
Sony HD Cameras
24' Camera Crane with Motorhead
8' jib arm
20K watts of lighting
Multitrack audio
Teleprompters
Grip Truck/trailer
Location video monitoring
Door and hood mounts
Lots of other Fun Stuff!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: BMCC FILE Size Limitations
on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:27:06 pm

Seeing as the total number of frames is the same, I suspect the file size itself is also the same. Duration is based on total number of frames divided by frame rate, so a slower rate will have longer times.

Michael

Return to posts index

Richard Martz
Re: BMCC FILE Size Limitations
on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:32:26 pm
Last Edited By Richard Martz on Feb 8, 2014 at 3:40:31 pm

I suppose so. But I admit that I didn't actually count each frame. :-)

Sincerely,
Richard Martz

MagicMartz Media
Atlanta, GA

FCP 7
FCP X
Blackmagic Cinema Camera
ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE CC
Premiere Pro
DaVinci Resolve 9.0
MAC 8 core
After Effects