FORUMS: list search recent posts

R3D to quicktime - Need Rec 709 LUT

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hudson
R3D to quicktime - Need Rec 709 LUT
on Dec 11, 2012 at 7:54:49 pm

I have some footage that was giving to me as a quicktime movie (ProRes 422 HQ) but originally shot on Epic. I don't have access to the original Epic files but was wondering if there was a way within speedgrade to load a Rec 709 LUT profile onto these quicktime files. Within the custom look presets I see Rec 709 settings for Alexia and Phantom footage but not Red or EPIC.

How can I get a LUT Rec 709 file for speedgrade?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: R3D to quicktime - Need Rec 709 LUT
on Dec 13, 2012 at 3:59:26 am

You create one.

Rec 709 is a range limited spec, either 16-235 or 64-940. This restricted range can be set in Speedgrade's Settings tab (I'm not on my main system, so forgive me if I can't point you exactly to it).

Beyond that you're grading for two things: broadcast legal colors & brightness, and a s-curve to add some contrast.

A Rec. 709 LUT is usually used for previewing dailies or as a base for very basic broadcast color grade (done quickly with minimal adjustment).

The .look file can be exported (use the little E next to your saved looks) to export additional LUT formats if other programs in your pipeline do not support .look files.

.look files are LUTs with some additional Speedgrade related info but After Effects and Photoshop's LUT effects will both read them.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: R3D to quicktime - Need Rec 709 LUT
on Dec 13, 2012 at 4:03:07 am

I should point out, it's a little more complicated than that if you dive in deeply. I assume you just "want the footage to look good" and my previous post will do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]