FORUMS: list search recent posts

SG clamping video to 100?

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
SG clamping video to 100?
on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:55:38 pm

Total neophyte to SG, kicking the tires, but I can't locate where to disable the clamping of output (as seen on waveform) to 100IRE. Hard clip at 100. I must be missing something. Same thing at 0.

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
Re: SG clamping video to 100?
on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:51:45 pm

The new interface with the 8.x version (2014 & on) can be a pain. There's a little black box ... or should I say blacker box? ... just to the left of the word "Clamp" on the border below the scopes.

If you click it, you get a checkmark & clamped scopes, click again and it's an empty blacker box than the surrounding and the scopes are un-clamped.

These forums seem to have a sucky method to simply attach a jpeg ... wow ... over on the Adobe forums you'd be able to see my swift little picture easily within the answering post!

8499_clampsg.jpg.zip

Neil

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:54:57 pm

Yup, that was the 1st thing I unchecked. Clamps either way.

But it is amusing to sit & click it on & off many times without a difference in the result. Wait... isn't that the definition of insanity? ;)

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:58:38 pm

If it's not changing, use say the offset or gain vertical sliders to pull down or expand the image ... should change then.

Quick questions ... "native" Sg project or DL from PrPRo?

Neil

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 3, 2015 at 11:01:08 pm

Yup, using offset & whatnot to expand a Varicam 35 Vlog shot; with Clamp scopes checked or unchecked, video hard clips at 0 & 100.

DL from PPro. Tested some non-log footy, just to be sure. Same result.

Can I stop clicking the little checkbox now? ;) But it is still fun. :D

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
on Feb 3, 2015 at 11:48:14 pm

Ha. ;-)

Neil

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
on Feb 3, 2015 at 11:04:00 pm

The image I've currently got "up" shows no change on the Parade when clamped/unclamped, but the histo bottom figures change from across-the-boards zeros to minus numbers between 5 & 7.

With a change say pulling down the Offset luma slider, I can drop the whole bottom into the Dark rather easily. This should be the way they work ... so play with them a bit.

Neil

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 3, 2015 at 11:12:06 pm
Last Edited By Bob Woodhead on Feb 3, 2015 at 11:18:57 pm

Hmmm.... I may need more coffee today...

Sort of starting over here.... if I'm in waveform, set to luma display, shouldn't I be able to push levels above 100? (Or, that might have been a really dumb question.)

And before I forget, thanks for the assist for an editor fumbling blindly through the wilds of grading!

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
on Feb 3, 2015 at 11:47:22 pm

My luma shows gradients -20 to 120 on the left edge, and when un-clamped ... I can drive levels clear to the 120 top mark.

Neil

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 4, 2015 at 12:11:31 am

That's what I would expect, up to 120. Wonder what's happening.

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
on Feb 4, 2015 at 12:23:53 am

My luma shows gradients to 120 when un-clamped ... and one thing I just realized ... off to the right, just below the program monitor, there's a little icon of three color bubbles, R,G, & B ... that is located right over the "3up" click-box. Hover over the three color bubbles and you get "Toggle Grading on/off".

Try clicking that ... if grading viewing is turned off, yea, your scopes won't move no matter what you do. In "normal" work those bubbles are pretty low-saturated ... if they're colorful, your grading is turned off to see the original footage.

Neil

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 4, 2015 at 1:17:38 am

Nope, wasn't that button. I'm getting good grading out of my log footage. Secondaries work nicely. Really like the "Gray-out" option when feathering color masks. Haven't played with the new curves yet (I understand they just came in the latest version). Hard to believe it didn't have curves before!

Anyway, I've been searching through Prefs, everywhere, looking for some sort of "Clamp output to 0-100" option to turn off.

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
on Feb 4, 2015 at 4:36:07 am

Gotta say this is just ... weird. Sorry I've not been able to help. Ah well, any other questions I might be of more use in solving? Or not, as the case might be ... ;-)

Neil

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
new results
on Feb 4, 2015 at 11:53:50 am
Last Edited By Bob Woodhead on Feb 4, 2015 at 12:12:25 pm

New info! Started a SG project from scratch, dragged in some random clip, lo & behold.... changing Offset sends luma levels from -10 to 120. As you'd expect, but NOT when Direct Linking from PPro timeline.

Started a new PPro timeline, pushed it over to SG, did some tweaking, and once again, video clamped 0/100. Sent it back to PPro, and with the Lumentri effect turned on, scopes show the video hard clipping at 110. Over in SG the scopes show hard clip at 100. Added a Levels effect to the clip from SG, and that dropped max white back to 100.

In FCPX, levels can be pushed from -10 to 110. In PPro, a 3-way CC adjust doesn't allow luma outside of 0-100. Would this be the answer?

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
Re: new results
on Feb 5, 2015 at 12:31:48 am

I think I'll check this out ... you might be right on this.

;-)

Neil

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
Re: new results
on Feb 5, 2015 at 12:37:19 am

Interesting ... on a DL project, the scopes when unclamped don't show gradient lines above 100 or below 0, BUT ... they do "open" the window to show the total footage range, and I've got footage showing above & below the scope window, in a lighter gray area, that when clamped goes to a solid line at 0/100.

So yes, very different behavior depending on DL/Native process.

Neil

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:56:32 pm

I help a lot on the Adobe forums (user myself) besides monitor here ...

https://forums.adobe.com/community/speedgrade/overview

It's not as active as say the PrPro forums, but still a lot of questions/answers in the thread history. Looking through both here and there is a Good Thing. Also, lynda-dot-com has some good videos on Sg, and the interesting but quite differnt Direct Link process using PrPro projects inside SpeedGrade instead of "native" SpeedGrade projects.

Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]