FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grading BMCC

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Whitaker
Grading BMCC
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:26:19 pm

Hey everyone,

During edit, I was playing around in Camera Raw with some BMCC dneg stills. I was able to very quickly ge the look I'm after. What I'd like to figure out is, it possible to take these settings and export them as a preset or LUT to speedgrade? Thank you.

Best,
Craig

Craig Whitaker
Digital Design Director
Assembly
161 Leverington Avenue Suite 1002
Philadelphia, PA 19127
O: 215-487-2060
craig@assemblypix.com

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Grading BMCC
on Aug 5, 2013 at 9:00:11 pm

Unfortunately, no; not without a ton of heavy lifting with test charts and other software.

There are a number of very technical reasons why but suffice to say that Speedgrade doesn't respect ACR adjustments and defaults to showing the footage in what you could call BMD Film gamma. It uses a different color transform matrix from the BMCC's "native" software Resolve which leads to slightly different results overall, but far more flexible than ACR which seems to apply a Rec 709 look to the footage by default.

I would suggest saving a frame from ACR as a TIFF then bringing that TIFF into Speedgrade CC along with the DNG of the same frame and applying the shot match feature. It will probably produce an 80% match without the hassle and you can fine tune from there.

I wouldn't consider the DNG workflow to be terribly mature. Because it's an open standard that's extensible I think you'll find the "flavors" of each DNG-based camera to be more difficult to deal with.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]