FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speed grade cc on Mac. Longform stability?

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Malmberg
Speed grade cc on Mac. Longform stability?
on Jul 10, 2013 at 2:06:30 pm

About to jump into a no budget feature-length color correction project. Want to know how stable SG CC is. Trying to decide if speed grade is the way to go as opposed to AppleColor 1.5. It would be great to hear from people who are actually using it. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Speed grade cc on Mac. Longform stability?
on Jul 10, 2013 at 9:02:32 pm

The best thing to do is to break up your final project into "reels" of ~15-20 minutes of material once you get to the finishing stages of color and audio mixing.

In an ideal world, you're picture locked but if you have to re-edit portions then you're only disturbing a 15 minute chunk of the film and not the entire thing.

With that said, Speedgrade does tend to crash on both Mac and PC a little more than I like but with autosave set in the background for every 5 seconds, it's quick to relaunch without issue.

I've had no other glaring issues on reels 15-30 minutes long but it would seem silly to me to load a full 90 min film on it.

In terms of export... just don't plan on Speedgrade being reliable with audio. Due to some issues and poor export speed, I export video only and use Premiere to marry video to the final audio mix.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Rich Malmberg
on Jul 11, 2013 at 12:10:22 am

Angelo,
Thank you for the quick reply. Are you running aja or Black Magic interfaces? I'm running Kona 3G. Adobe's specs say SG CC will run on Lion or Mountain Lion. Haven't upgraded the Mac Pro yet but will obviously have to. Any preference? I've heard Color 1.5 doesn't like ML but is OK with Lion if I can't get SpeedGrade to play nice.
Thanks again.
Rich

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:15:43 pm

Im currently running Speedgrade to a Flanders Scientific panel via HDMI/DVI (depending on what system I'm on) because Blackmagic cards aren't supported. I've done QC checks on internal and external scopes and have found no color shift.

I was running SG a little bit on a 2006 MacBook on Snow Leopard - not that stable but usable in the field. I've been running CS6 and CC on a Windows 8 desktop and 2012 MacBook Pro (15" with discrete GPU, OSX Mountain Lion) with plenty of success.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]