FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour Accurate Monitors

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Mountford
Colour Accurate Monitors
on May 12, 2013 at 12:57:15 pm

We have recently transitioned to Speedgrade from Apple Color, firstly we've had the frustration that Speedgrade doesn't (yet) support output on Blackmagic Intensity Pro cards - which has killed all our external monitors for grading!

We were using older standard-def Sony PVM and BVM CRT screens with SDI interfaces. I'm looking to replace these - assuming that Adobe will add support for cards other than the ridiculously expensive Nvida option. I've been looking at Sony, JVC and TVLogic HD-LCD screens to use in the suites and on location shoots. What are your recommendations for a 24" 1080p screen (for UK use) with the best colour-accuracy possible for less than £3000.

In the meantime I'm looking to get some DVI screens for our Macs that have greater colour-accuracy than the Apple Cinema Displays and generic office-quality LG monitors. Everyone seems to have slightly different colour rendition and the guys come in from shoots and swear that the footage looks completely different back at base compared to what they saw on the monitor on location. Again, what are your recommendations for colour-accurate computer screens? I'm trying to achieve the holy-grail of entirely accurate colour reproduction across the business.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Mountford
Business Development
The JMS Group Ltd

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Colour Accurate Monitors
on May 12, 2013 at 6:45:42 pm

I would recommend Flanders Scientific. While their 24" may be a bit out of your price range, they have a 23" inch monitor for $3000 USD http://www.shopfsi.com/BM230-p/bm230.htm Their monitors are highly calibrated at their facility in the US and, if you ever needed them to they can be sent back and factory calibrated. They're also ridiculously light for field work.

In terms of computer monitors, it may be a better investment to talk to someone at, say, Minolta or another company that sells a multi-thousand dollar calibration system. You may find that a proper calibration workflow will be less expensive than purchasing additional monitors.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

Tom Mountford
Re: Colour Accurate Monitors
on May 12, 2013 at 8:30:50 pm

Thanks - I shall check them out. I'm implementing the use of Macbeth Charts on our shoots which I'm hoping should help us all have a reference to work to in Speedgrade.

I hadn't considered calibration for the computers, cheers for that - I shall look at Minolta, I just checked online and spotted a Spyder4Elite which seems able to calibrate displays for PAL video or Cineon colourspace... definitely need to read-up on all this! Until recently we had only been using XDCAM-EX but the nature of our work at the moment means we're increasingly shooting with RED EPIC or Alexa - so there's more scope for really creative grading... we just need to be sure we're seeing the correct colours!! :-)

Tom Mountford
Business Development
The JMS Group Ltd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]