FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graded footage now it looks Grainy and full of Noise, Why?

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Bradley
Graded footage now it looks Grainy and full of Noise, Why?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:20:37 pm

System Setup
MacBook Pro Retina
RAM 16gb
Adobe CS6

I just completed grading my footage and rendered everything and my footage looks grainy?

My source files are RED R3D files. Sent to Speed Grade from Premiere Pro via the send to command. The exposure on the clips is correct. I've only done a 15-25% increase on the Gamma setting nothing too drastic. In terms of the grade I made the footage look vintage by using the Sepia filter at a 25-35% opacity, crushed the black and pushed the whites but didn't go overboard and did a few Secondary color corrections to make curtain colors pop. I've provided a link so you can see what the footage looks like. I've even tried turning off all the filter/adjustments or shutting off all the eyeballs and rendering the RAW footage back out. The footage still looks grainy

URL: vimeo.com/59697823
Access Code: password

Also the footage looks squashed now after rendering why?

Finally is there a setting where you can see if you missed any clips? Mean you didn't grade them, the timeline is so small it's hard to know if you missed a small clip or two

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Graded footage now it looks Grainy and full of Noise, Why?
on Feb 15, 2013 at 8:53:08 pm

It's difficult to judge as Vimeo's encoding seems to smear the finer details. It may be worth posting a screenshot of a noticeable frame before and after the grade.

With that said, you're probably just seeing more of the camera's noise. You're basically expanding contrast which will bring out details, including details. The Red cameras aren't as noiseless as people think so if it's bothersome there may need to be some additional noise reduction after grading. Sppedgrade's degrain doesn't work for the chunky low frequency noise the Red can produce.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]