FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color theory resources

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Sikes
Color theory resources
on Feb 1, 2013 at 3:52:58 pm

Hey everyone. I'm looking for some resources to help me grow not so much on the software side of color grading, but to enhance my knowledge and understanding of the theoretical side of color. I've been doing color work for a few years now, and I generally can work an image until it looks or feels "right", but lately I've realized that I can't really explain to myself why I do every step of the process beyond basic, primary correction (I can explain that with scopes, etc.)

What resources would you recommend? I'm looking for books, movies, blogs... whatever. Thanks for all your help - there are so many here I respect highly and appreciate your input and help in my professional development.

I've posted this in another forum, just because I wanted to get a variety of responses from different users out there. I hope this isn't a violation of any Cow policies.

- David

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Color theory resources
on Feb 2, 2013 at 1:28:51 am

I don't have specific references, but I think you're better off looking towards books and research on color psychology in paintings.

It's such a soft science because there aren't a large amount of trends. Besides healthy skintones and proper color for food, a lot of color preference is cultural.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Hillary Knox
Re: Color theory resources
on Feb 7, 2013 at 12:14:57 am

http://www.amazon.com/Color-Correction-Handbook-Professional-Techniques/dp/...

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Technique-Digital-Color-Correction/dp/024081715X/...

Those will get you started. I can highly recommend the fxphd.com course GRD201 The Craft Of Color Grading.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]