FORUMS: list search recent posts

GY-HM650U ... a simple physical measurement needed.

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
GY-HM650U ... a simple physical measurement needed.
on Nov 5, 2013 at 1:53:26 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting the GY-HM650U. I have a small iPad prompter rig that only works if the camera mounted is less than 8.5 inches from the threaded mounting hole to the front of the lens. I have to remove the hood of my Canon to make it fit.

Can someone tell me what the distance for the threaded mounting hole to the front of the lens?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: GY-HM650U ... a simple physical measurement needed.
on Nov 8, 2013 at 12:14:44 am

My HM-600 is right at 8.5 inches. Should be the same on the 650.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
JVC GY-HM600
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium
MacBook Pro
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 8, 2013 at 2:22:48 am

Thanks Ron,

I have a friend with a 750. He likes it, but has said he notices noise in the blacks. He's not sure if there's an adjustment he can make. Any thoughts there?

Second, a lot of people I talk to about this are either right or are Canon/Sony/Panny snobs. To them, JVC is just not on the same level. They point, in this case to the 4:2:0 of the 650, saying 4:2:2 and 1/2" sensors make a big difference.

Your thoughts?

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Nov 8, 2013 at 3:42:44 am

Yes, I have several thoughts on this. Very passionate thoughts! First, I owned a Sony EX-3 for 4 years and liked it a lot but it was just to heavy for me. The HM-600 is half the weight along with many other superior features.
1. I get much less noise in the blacks, even at 9 db gain so whoever said otherwise if full of bologna. Remember, these are 12 bit sensors not 8 or 10 bit like some other cameras.
2. SXS cards are expensive! I use 32 gig SDHC cards and got the Sandisk Extreme Pro class 10 cards for $65 each. They are just as fast downloading and much more reliable.
3. The lens is without a doubt far superior to the EX-3. 23X and very sharp. Equivalent to 29mm-660 in 35mm terms.
4. The picture quality is every bit as good or better the -3. As far as I am concerned the difference between 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 is way overblown. I can't tell the difference and I color correct a lot of my footage. I think people are caught up in technical terms and don't look at the actual picture. Maybe if you are doing massive changes to the color in post you might notice but for regular shooting and correcting, no way.

In short, I would not go back to the EX-3 for any reason. Overall handling of the camera is just better along with what I listed above. There are many other reasons to get it too if you look at the specs along with it being so much cheaper than the competition.

My advice is "buy it". And no, I do not have any relationship with JVC.

Good luck!

ronpesteshdvideo.com
JVC GY-HM600
Dell M6600
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Nov 10, 2013 at 4:00:37 pm

Thanks Ron,

I appreciate your time and passion.

Your 600 and 650, they are just a few features away, but basically the same?

Have you done any chroma keying? I think I would want to do some virtual set work.

I also heard that the zoom rocker is a bit abrupt at the beginning and end. I like doing that sort of move. Having not be smooth would be a problem.

Thanks again for your report.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Nov 10, 2013 at 5:20:18 pm

I use Premier Pro for editing and the Ultra Key feature works great, just drag and drop. Very little adjusting or fine tuning. The 600 is the same as the 650 except for streaming and recording in two compression settings at the same time. Also, I have never noticed a problem with the zoom.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
JVC GY-HM600
Dell M6600
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Ryan Babb
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:20:11 pm
Last Edited By Ryan Babb on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:39:38 pm

I know this thread is a bit old but the studio I work in currently owns 3 HM650U's. The 3 we purchased were (I believe) some of the first to ship to the US. Our primary focus is split between ENG work for a newspaper and commercial work for clients. I feel like we've really put these things through the paces in a variety of conditions over the past year.

I have DEFINITELY noticed grain in the blacks and just an overall grain/fuzz in general on all formats/frame rates/bitrates. Recording footage via SDI to our KiPro at 720p60 ProRes 422HQ helps things a bit… but, in my experience, anything recorded to the memory cards is going to have a grainy quality. Maybe there is a magic setting I'm completely missing but I have been relatively dissapointed with the pictures for any higher-end HD delivery. I would shower many internet karma points upon anybody with said 'magic setting.'

My only experience using them with keying is via our TriCaster's software-based keying and via Premiere/AE in post.

The keying in the TriCaster is passable for streaming web delivery but, again, I feel it really lacks sharpness especially when your talent is superimposed over one of the TriCaster's live sets which are extremely crisp and clean. It is very noticable on recorded output. For HD broadcast, I believe it would be unacceptable. I do realize that the TriCaster can't really be compared with a dedicated hardware keyer so take the above with a grain (lol) of salt.

Keying in Premiere/AE, of course, produces much better results. Still, the overall grain issue persists. Much more acceptable for HD broadcast and web delivery.

Overall the cameras are absolutely fantastic for quick-turnaround ENG work. Studio performance, however, leaves much to be desired. In hindsight… I wish we would have sacked one of the 650's from our budget and spent a bit more for something that produces a higher quality image.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]