FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HM70 "Shoulder Camcorder", Extensive Test and Review

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paolo Castellano
JVC GY-HM70 "Shoulder Camcorder", Extensive Test and Review
on Jun 17, 2013 at 5:20:15 pm

Hello Creative Cows,
the JVC GY-HM70 is not yet in the shops, but I was lucky to get it for a day in the "Caput Mundi" and I'd like to share a test I made with it. I hadn't much time, but I tried to test any aspect of this prosumer "shoulder" camcorder, from lens, to flash banding, rolling shutter, low light sensitivity and the interesting high speed 250-300Fps recording mode (that is not intended for broadcast production due to the lower image resolution and sensitivity).

I'm sorry that you can't see the real quality of the video because Youtube stripped out the half of the frames (I uploaded a 50p movie) and lots of video details due to compression, but I hope that you will enjoy it.
Please, don't forget to set the video quality to 1080P

Happy Editing (and shooting),

Paolo Castellano
http://www.ivsEdits.com

P.S.If I will have time, I'll try to make a 25p version of the video and to upload it soon.

Return to posts index

Leo McMichael
Re: JVC GY-HM70 "Shoulder Camcorder", Extensive Test and Review
on Jul 23, 2013 at 4:39:32 am

Paolo,

I have been looking at a few camera models recently and this one was one of them. Have you had a chance to check out the JVC GY-HM105u? That was the camera that caught my eye on price and features Currently as of this writing, I can get the camera you reviewed for $1600. I can get the HM105u for $2000. To me the audio features of XLR and the tiny size of the 105u seems to be attractive to me. Also it records at 35mbps in EXDCAM format. (Or something like that - it's late here. lol)

Your demo was very nice though! Gives me something to consider. But I believe most of the same features are found on the slightly more expensive 105u which makes me lean that way. Now, the 105u lists for $2499 but it's selling at $1999 ($2000). The HM70 lists at $1999 but sells for $1599 ($1600). If it had XLR and a few other options I'd consider it. But I lean toward the HM105u.

The editing system you use (freeware) does it run on a Mac or PC or other?

Thanks!
Leo

Mac G5 Dual 2.3 ghz, 2 gigs ram, Mac OSX, FCP Suite 1, Commotion 3.0, many plug-ins and filters all for FCP. Anything else you'll have to ask I guess? LOL

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:29:05 pm

Hello Leo,
are you sure aren't you referring to the JVC Gy-HM150U http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp ?

If you are referring to it, they are totally different products. One is a shoulder camera while the other is a very compact handeld one. I never owned an HM150, but I think that the GY-HM70 excedes it in terms of video quality and sensitivity. The lack of XLR is a problem, but not so big. I will never use cables exceding 12m, and I can use dedicated microphones from Rode, Azden or Sennheiser. XLR microphones can be converted to Mini Jack.

About the freeware video editor (ivsEdits.com) it currently works on PC and Macs (Intel) but using Windows only.

Best Regards,

Paolo Castellano

Return to posts index

mark villa
on Jun 25, 2015 at 5:21:13 pm

this is 2015 and I had the chance to shoot with the hm70 and I was impressed. older codec, older everything, difficult low light (needs attentions but can deliver). the footage is good to very good. No SD, just HD@60p so it's not for broadcast but for everything else gives the amazing shoulder stability, light, not too much front-heavy, almost like a real shoulder. But it's cheap.
I'll keep it (just bought one actually): makes private events easier with less fatigue compared to any handheld with a rig.
The audio is kinda poor: it needs a beachtek (badly).
but it works, after years with EX1-like handheld cameras with a rig this HM70 gave me the joy of stable shoots naturally. As it should be. Because it's cheap, of course... LOL . nice HD camera

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]