FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC HM650

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Gillen
JVC HM650
on Feb 7, 2013 at 4:46:31 pm

Has anyone bought the 650 and do you like it or not?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: JVC HM650
on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:11:04 pm

I have the 600 if that helps at all. I sold my EX-3 for this camera due to all the features and long lens and so far it has been great. Very low noise in low light. About as good as the -3 even though it has smaller sensors. Also, shooting in .mov wrapper lets me see the files in Bridge without drilling down to the individual files which I had to do with the MP4 wrapper. Much faster for previewing. I am using a Windows computer. In addition the camera is much lighter than the the EX-3 so I can hold it in odd positions longer without getting tired. Plus, the SDHC cards are SO much cheaper than the SXS cards. Only thing I don't like is that there are no hard stops on the focus and iris rings. Overall, I like it more than the EX-3 and it has all the capabilities of the -3 including interval record which I use a lot.

Hope this helps. Ask any questions you have and I will try to answer them. I have had the camera for just over a month.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600
Adobe CS6 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Tom Gillen
on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:38:58 pm

Thanks, Ron. That is helpful. Have you gotten used to having no stops on the barrel? That seems awkward.
1. I was wondering about the quality of the SD footage... is it as sharp as a regular SD camera?
2. The file that can be internet-ready...does it work seemlessly with YouTube?(Not sure if the 600 has this feature. The 650 does.)
Thanks again. It is difficult to get reviews on this camera. I like the 650 because I do a lot of VNRs and in my town there are three stations all with different formats.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Feb 8, 2013 at 12:47:14 am

Hey Tom. Having no barrel stops takes a little getting used to but if you keep your eye on the iris and focus indicators in the view finder it gets easier. I have mostly adapted to it and I think it will be a mute point soon.

I have not shot any SD footage since 2005 so I can't comment on that part, and yes, only the 650 shoots the web ready files.

I will be shooting some wildlife footage tomorrow and will compress some of it for upload. Hopefully I can post a link by tomorrow night so you can see how it looks.

Good luck and by the way, I got interested in this camera at NAB last April in Vegas. I was walking by the 650 display and thought, "that camera looks like all the rest" but then I heard the rep talking about it and I got interested real fast. Give it strong consideration. You can download the manual at JVC's web site.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600

Return to posts index

Tom Gillen
on Feb 8, 2013 at 1:17:49 am

Thanks, again, Ron... I have a client that wants to see all the raw footage I shoot, so rather than having to ingest all of it and then compress it, I can give him the card with the web ready file and I won't have any other extra work to do. Let me know when you post some footage. - Tom

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Feb 8, 2013 at 10:36:25 pm

Hey Tom,
Here is the link to a 2 minute video I shot today.

It is a combo of 1080/30p and 60i footage and has not been color corrected. This is just a rough cut but hopefully it will give you a sense of the cameras capabilities. It was compressed using Adobe PP 6 encoder using the Youtube preset.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600

Return to posts index

Tom Gillen
on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:37:58 pm

Thanks, Ron. Nice stuff. Where is this place? So many kinds of birds and hawks and owls. Cool.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:44:48 pm

This is just north of Vancouver WA. at Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge. Pretty small place but close to home. I find this camera easier to use than my old EX-3. I wish the lighting was better today but maybe next time.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
Dell M6600

Return to posts index

Ryan Babb
on Jan 17, 2014 at 7:05:05 pm

Slight crosspost from another thread but figured the info is relavant to your question.

The studio I work in currently owns 3 HM650U's. The 3 we purchased were (I believe) some of the first to ship to the US. Our primary focus is split between ENG work for a newspaper and commercial work for clients. I feel like we've really put these things through the paces in a variety of conditions over the past year.

General picture issues:

I have DEFINITELY noticed grain in the blacks and just an overall grain/fuzz in general on all formats/frame rates/bitrates. Recording footage via SDI to our KiPro in ProRes 422HQ helps things a bit… but, in my experience, anything recorded to the memory cards is going to have a grainy/fuzzy quality. Maybe there is a magic setting I'm completely missing but I have been relatively dissapointed with the pictures for any higher-end HD delivery. I would shower many internet karma points upon anybody with said 'magic setting.'

Other than this detail I feel the picture is acceptable and, perhaps, is fixable via a setting I am not familiar with. We've delivered footage across all mediums that clients are satisfied with. My standards for image quality are probably higher than most.

Lens:

Great zoom, very wide-angle. Definitely feel like this is a major strength of the camera.

Streaming/Web functionality:

Very nice set of features. Live streaming takes some semi-advanced network configuration that might turn some off, but any IT dept should easily be able to handle and set things up. Quality is, as usual, 100% dependent on your connection at the location. Mobile hotspots (which JVC loves to tout in the documentation of the 650) are basically useless in any setting with a sizeable crowd where cell towers are saturated.

For a reporter stand-up type of shot at an uncrowded location, the streaming works fantastic.

File transfer via FTP and remote camera control are also solid features that work well.

Chroma key use:

My only experience using them with keying is via our TriCaster's software-based keying and via Premiere/AE in post.

The keying in the TriCaster is passable for streaming web delivery but, again, I feel it really lacks sharpness especially when your talent is superimposed over one of the TriCaster's live sets which are extremely crisp and clean. It is very noticable on recorded output. For HD broadcast, I believe it would be unacceptable. I do realize that the TriCaster can't really be compared with a dedicated hardware keyer so take the above with a grain (lol) of salt.

Keying in Premiere/AE, of course, produces much better results. Still, the overall grain issue persists. Much more acceptable for HD broadcast and web delivery.

Overall:

The 650's are absolutely fantastic for quick-turnaround ENG work at this price range, maybe the best (BBC went 'all in' with the 650). Studio performance, however, leaves much to be desired. In hindsight… I wish we would have sacked one of the 650's from our budget and spent a bit more for something that produces a higher quality image.

PowerMac - 2 x 2.4 Xeon
12 GB 1066 DDR3
Radeon HD 5870
Kona LHi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]