FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prosumer Tripod for JVC HD110

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Ball
Prosumer Tripod for JVC HD110
on Jan 21, 2013 at 7:28:40 pm

Hey CC world--

Thank you in advance for taking the time to review my post/question.

I am new to purchasing a tripod (I've always just had one to work with already), but the church I work at is looking at purchasing new ones. We use JVC GY-HD110 camcorders and typically don't really take the tripods anywhere, so they don't have to be extremely lightweight.

My budget is no more than 250 or so per tripod. Your thoughts?

Thanks again!

Andrew

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Prosumer Tripod for JVC HD110
on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:53:15 pm

[Andrew Ball] "My budget is no more than 250 or so per tripod. Your thoughts?"

I don't think that is enough budget for a new set of sticks and a fluid head. Anything that you can buy new for that kind of money is going to be junk. And in an environment where it's going to be used by a lot of different people, with varying levels of competence, something that cheap will be broken in no time, and that money will be wasted.
I have this camera, and you want something like a Manfrotto 504 head, and matching set of sticks at the minimum. You can get a kit with a head, sticks, pan handle and nice carry bag for around $750.
There are some Manfrotto kits for smaller cameras, that are around $400, but these are not rated for cameras over 7-8 pounds. Using one of these with a heavier camera like the 110 risks a failure that could potentially damage the camera/lens. At a minimum these pods will just wear out quickly once you exceed the weight rating. Ideally, you want a weight rating several pounds more than the listed weight of the camera, since the makers tend to quote weights of cameras in their most minimal configuration. In the real world cameras also tend to gain weight somewhat.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Andrew Ball
on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:01:46 am

THANK YOU Mr. Sheriff!

This was just the response I was hoping for :-P

Return to posts index

Andrew Ball
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:19:54 pm

One more question, please.

Does the 504hd only allow for 1 panhandle? Should this fact not influence my decision?

I know our volunteers are used to using two pan handles, plus we have focus and zoom extensions going down each handle currently.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jan 24, 2013 at 5:38:50 pm

[Andrew Ball] "Does the 504hd only allow for 1 panhandle? Should this fact not influence my decision?"

There are mounts for two so you can use the handle right/left handed, but you usually only get one with the kit, so be sure to budget for an extra.
The weight rating is 16 lbs, so with camera, lens, external zoom/focus, and two pan handles you might be getting close to the listed weight rating. It might be worth checking the actual weight of your gear the way you plan to configure it. If you are over 13-14 pounds, you might consider moving up in size to the next bigger head so you have some headroom for growth and to deal with imbalanced loads.
FYI a Manfrotto pan handle weighs 11 oz.

Scott Sheriff
SST Digital Media
Multi-Camera Director, VFX and Post Production

The Affordable Camera Dolly is your just right solution!

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]