FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HM100U media

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Rankin
JVC GY-HM100U media
on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:51:05 pm

I have a JVC CY-HM100U and currently am using a San Disk Extreme 32GB 30MB/s series 10 disk as well as a 16 GB card. I'd like to get something larger. I tried buying a San Disk Ultra 64 GB 30 MB/sec disk but the camera won't recognize it. Am I doing something wrong? Must it be an Extreme rather than an Ultra?

Also, the only drive I had to download from is on my MacBook Pro. I do editing on my desktop machine so I have to transfer everything via external hard drive. I purchased an inexpensive SanDisk USB card reader that said it could handle video, but it won't transfer video. Does it have to be a much more expensive Firewire reader?

Thanks!

Doug Rankin
Director of Theatre
Monmouth College
Monmouth, IL

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stephans
Re: JVC GY-HM100U media
on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:00:06 am

I have that camera. I haven't tried cards above 32GB yet... but I seem to recall there is a firmware update on JVC site for it to accept larger cards, class 10, etc.

I would check there.

Return to posts index

Doug Rankin
on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:27:32 am

Thanks. When I got the camera, I upgraded to accept class 10 (which I've been using). I thought of trying that again but figured that upgrade shouldn't need to be done twice. I went to their site and tried typing in the model number, etc. to determine firmware but their caluclator didn't work.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stephans
on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:31:32 am

I think there has been only one update. If it doesn't take 64GB after that - I think we are stuck.

Return to posts index

Doug Rankin
on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:36:23 am

Thanks. Do you know anything about my USB media reader question?

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stephans
on Nov 30, 2012 at 4:02:52 am

Get a newer USB card reader.

I use this one attached to my iMac

Kingston 19-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader FCR-HS219/1 ($15)

I also carry one of these with me on the road and copy files from cards to laptops with no problems.

Transcend P5 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Flash Memory Card Reader TS-RDP5K (Black) ($8)

Both purchased on Amazon.

Older readers often don't read SDHC cards, just SD.

Return to posts index

Doug Rankin
on Nov 30, 2012 at 4:12:50 am

Thanks. This is a new reader. I can see and transfer files but I can't log and transfer files live in FCP. Assuming I could use it to copy files to my desktop, which files would I use to get clips to FCP?

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stephans
on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:51:39 pm

Log and transfer seems to be a software concern - not just a card reader. I would review the software that came with the camera to see what functions it has and how to use them.

We do it different here. We simply drag the clips from the card to an external Thunderbolt hard drive. Once needed we import into FCP from there.

We don't use software from JVC in our workflow.

Return to posts index

Doug Rankin
on Nov 30, 2012 at 3:56:17 pm

That helps. Do you just import assets to FCP using that command? I'm recording MP4 and can't seem to find files that FCP sees as video. I've only been able to log and transfer directly from the smart card.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stephans
on Nov 30, 2012 at 4:22:12 pm

And that might be the issue. I am not sure that all versions of FCP can see / import MP4 without add-on software or conversion.

You'll need to search around for that answer. I seem to recall a free download called something like "MPEG SLIPSTREAM" was needed for some versions of FCP.

Knowing that we are going directly to FCP we set the JVC to create .MOV files that are native to FCP.

As for the file location - if you are looking at the card in Finder they are located in PRIVATE / JVC / CQAV / CLIP

But, as I mentioned - I am not sure all versions of FCP can work with MP4 directly.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Stephans
on Nov 30, 2012 at 5:18:25 pm

Quick follow-up...

Guy in my office basically comfirmed what I said. On our old MacPro with FCP 6 the MP4 files we get had to be converted to ProRes before he could edit in FCP 6.

These days on newer iMac and FCP X he can import clips directly.

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Nov 20, 2013 at 4:51:23 pm

Hi

The firmware on the HM100 does not support 64Gig cards of any favor - 32G is the max it will support. The new HM150 supports up to 128G.....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]