FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC hm790 & hm750

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Carswell
JVC hm790 & hm750
on Jul 2, 2012 at 7:30:13 pm

I'm shopping around for a 1/3" chip shoulder mount camera and notice there is very little, if any, talk about the JVC products. Specifically the HM790 ad HM750. I've been a Panasonic and Sony buyer in the past (most recently the Panasonic HVX200 back in '06).

I immediately considered the Panasonic HPX370 but than came across the JVC products. Trying to find reviews of the 790 & 750 is near impossible. Mostly what I have come across is JVCs own PR just reprinted on a variety of sites.

Are these JVC cameras just not being purchased and used by independent film makers and production companies? Is there something radically wrong with them? I have found reference to noise issues in some discussions.

Your shared thoughts are appreciated

Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA
http://www.spyhopproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jim Carswell
Re: JVC hm790 & hm750
on Jul 5, 2012 at 5:31:14 pm

Okay....I think the amount of response to my inquiry tells me pretty much everything I need to know about these cameras. They just aren't being used by professionals.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Carswell
Spyhop Productions, Inc.
Savannah, GA
http://www.spyhopproductions.com

Return to posts index

Paul Gould
on Jul 16, 2012 at 1:51:48 am

I bought an hm750 a year ago after looking at the panasonic and sony cameras. I have shot with various cameras over the years and have never been a big fan of JVC products. After putting aside my old bias, I decided to try out the JVC HM750. I mainly shoot :30 tv spots and found the JVC to be the best bang for the buck. The form factor was the initial draw, but after discovering that I could shoot on relatively inexpensive sdhc cards, that would mimic my old tape workflow, I was sold. I have shot with this camera in many different situations and have never been disappointed with the footage I have brought back. What is interesting is that people complain about the camera's lowlight performance, but quite frankly it shoots everything pretty close to what I can see with my eyes. No, it does not amplify light, but so what. For a professional who lights everything, who cares if I can't see something in a dark corner that I can't even see in real life. I love the fact that the 750 can record to 2 cards simultaneously. I hand one card to the producer and put the other one in a binder with the rest of my clients footage. The codec is wonderful and has been fine for every project I have shot this year. Check out one for yourself before you make a decision.

Return to posts index

David Cleverly
on Jul 19, 2012 at 12:06:22 pm

I have been shooting on a Panasonic p2 (HPX502) for three years and am very happy with it, although it is a heavy beast.

For various reasons I am thinking of selling it and going to the JVC 750E. I shoot mainly news (interviews, pickups for other stories and run-and-gun stuff), dance concerts and corporate videos. I love the possibility of shooting on SD cards (P2 is limiting due to cost) and some of the other features.

After doing some research, however, I have almost been scared off by the comments re low light performance, chromatic aberration of the lens, dead pixels and lost files on the SD cards.

Are my concerns valid? It's hard to leave a reliable camera behind for the "unknown quantity".

Return to posts index

Paul Gould
on Jul 19, 2012 at 9:31:47 pm

There is some chromatic aberration on high contrast edges, but then again I would get aberration with my old $10,000 Canon lens. I think that HD certainly magnifies these flaws. I would say that in low light situations the camera lies somewhere between a Sony 637 and a Sony D30 for sensitivity. I was actually surprised at how well it did given all the bad pr. If you don't mind some noise the gain is very adjustable, as are all the parameters of the camera. I have had one dead pixel with the camera, but there is a built in masking process that will take care of that if it should happen to you. I have not had any issues with losing files on cards, but then again, I never reuse them. I actually buy mine from Amazon, usually Transcend 8gig at around $8 to $11 a piece. This gives me 28 minutes of shooting time and again mimics my old tape flow. I record to 2 cards simultaneously to ensure that if there is a problem on one, I will still have the other as a backup. My local distributor has been great (Access AV) and allowed me to try the camera out before I bought it, and even told me that if I bought it and found that I didn't like it, that he would take it back and we would find another camera that would suit me. I say check it out. I have never shot with the pan 500, but am very familiar with the 900 which I loved.... The look was outstanding, but you know what, I don't miss it anymore, and my clients have not been dissapointed.

-paul

Return to posts index

Wilky Black
on Nov 5, 2012 at 3:19:08 pm

man i have the jvc 750, i use it for eng style stuff and i absolutely love it!
we also use them for live ESPN 3 production and the picture is great!! i love the lighter weight yet still able to shoot off the shoulder and it be stable!
feel free to contact me personally if you have any more questions about it!
wblack@hayzensproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]