FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing better video from a JVC GY-HD100u

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brooks Willig
Capturing better video from a JVC GY-HD100u
on Feb 5, 2012 at 9:55:44 am

Howdy. I have a JVC GY-HD100u i bought back in 2006. Recently the FireWire port went out on it so I'm stuck with recording to tape. I've been thinking about gettin some external flash recorder and capturing the video via the component out. Since most recorders had HDMI or SDI I will probably need a black magic or Aja converter box. Do any of y'all have a opinion on weather this would be a good thing to do or should I not waist my money and get a newer camera. The camera has been a good camera. Sometimes I wish it would record a little sharper image like the EX-3 or DSLRs. I'm not really sure if I'm ready to buy a new camera and kind of want to keep this one going as long as I can. Is there any other tweaks or mods I can do to keep this camera producing video that will stack up against all the new cameras coming out. Thanks

Brooks Willig
Owner/ Audio Engineer
Western Audio Works

http://www.westernaudioworks.com
westernaudioworks@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
Re: Capturing better video from a JVC GY-HD100u
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:24:21 am

If you really like the camera you might find it cheeper to have the firewire repaired than to purchase a new camera. There is a lot to be said for staying with that which is comfortable and successful.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:10:55 am

Bummer.
IMO getting a new camera depends on what you shoot and your budget, but probably the better option. Lets look at your choices.
Taking the component out would be a huge hit in the quality vs the FW capture. And then your going to re-encode component out to get that to get it into a recorder, taking another quality hit. And then there is the cost buying the stuff, which would probably be better spent towards a new cam. The 100u isn't even the latest model in that line, the 110u is. So a 6 year old discontinued cam, older version, with a dead FW port is a boat anchor. I'd probably give you a hundred bucks for it, and use it for a parts, or for high risk shots, since I have a deck to capture tape with and the dead FW doesn't matter that much. Getting the FW port repaired is probably going to be pricey. Probably more than you you would spend buying a used 110u. Sounds like recording to tape is not your preference, but another option is to find a used BR-50 deck to do tape captures with, if getting a used 110u and fixing the FW is out of the question. But a used deck will probably be more than a used camera unless you run into a smokin deal.
Really, it sounds like time for a new camera.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
on Feb 10, 2012 at 8:04:27 pm

The cost for repairing the HD100U firewire is $300-$400. If you like the camera and it does the job for you, keep it and get it repaired. Not many of us have the need for a boat anchor these days, nor the deep pockets to be able to just pick up another camera anytime . . . but it's your call

Ken Maxwell, president & director
Cinema Arts, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]