FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HM750E horrible noise in footage

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Ricker
JVC GY-HM750E horrible noise in footage
on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:10:32 am

Hi there,

Our company recently purchased a GY-HM750E. The camera has beautiful form factor, but we have noticed that it has very very poor low light ability (small chips, so we'll say thats fine). BUT even with the iris wide open in a room lit by fluro's (office say). We have massive amounts of noise all throughout the footage, most noticeable in wide shots and super noticeable in the blacks.

If we are doing a tight shot, and the object is in focus then we do not seem to see noise at all.

Zoom out with that same shot in focus, and noise starts to show up!

Gain is set to 0db
Backfocus is perfect

Is this just a JVC thing?? cause for $7k, i'm wishing our company had stepped up and got an EX1 or EX3. The Sony Z5 we sold to buy this one did a much better job!
Fairly disappointing to say the least, and more disappointing I didn't get a say in it! ;)

Is there anything I can do to help clean up the image at the filming stage?

Return to posts index

Andy Urtusuastegui
Re: JVC GY-HM750E horrible noise in footage
on Nov 18, 2011 at 5:33:02 am

Are you shooting 1080 or 720p
The JVC's are much cleaner in 720p mode.

I have read on other forums (d v i n f o) that you get a cleaner picture by detting detail to around -6

Return to posts index

Andrew Hagan
on Sep 23, 2012 at 8:33:17 pm

Hi Craig,

Very interesting to hear about the noise problem on the JVC especially as I am considering buying one. Since November last year, have you worked out if there was a problem or does the camera still perform with a lot of noise?

Cheers

Andrew Hagan

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Sep 23, 2012 at 11:16:16 pm

Hi Andrew,

The noise is still very apparent in any low light shots. Low light does not require much either, most indoor conditions without much window light will provide the low light conditions for high noise.

Noise is much more noticeable in wide shots and the level of detail in the footage drops considerably in wider shots. I believe this is just XDCAM.

CU's are much more detailed and is where this camera is at its best.

I'm not sure what you wish to use the camera for? Broadcast/short film?

Broadcast is about the only place I would recommend this camera, and thats purely for its form factor. Otherwise I cannot recommend this camera, its just way behind in terms of recording quality.

Return to posts index

Sachin Desai
on Apr 18, 2013 at 3:11:32 am

i have 750E and 150E as well.

150 gives way better performance in same lighting conditions, ut one thing I've notices that when i monitor the footage from 750 on my TV while shooting (Y out)it shows no signs of noise but when i take the card and transfer the footage my eyes don't believe the noise!

so I think its the compression ! if you have facility and can capture through component it gives very clean 4:2:2 video. compared to the recorded file on the card.

Sachin Desai

Return to posts index

Craig Ricker
on Sep 6, 2013 at 2:48:28 am

Even recording to a Black magic hyper deck in pro res 422 HQ, I still get tons of noise. Probably the worst camera i've come across for noise.

1080p is definitely more noisy than 720p

Mac Pro 2 x 2.4Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 660

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
on Apr 28, 2014 at 9:51:24 pm

Check your gamma curve. There is much more noise on different gamma settings than others. Breakup in dark tones is definitely an issue for this camera but I recommend you get away from film or cinema gamma and stay with the standard setting.

Lots of noise when you use the black stretch option as well.

Note that this is the image processing and not the recording so much of this is NOT a compression issue. But yeah, it has compression limitations as well.

Return to posts index

B.La Poppé
on Oct 26, 2014 at 9:49:04 pm

In normal light condition my process setting was: gamma standard and black toe strech: level 3. I noticed that a little bit noise comes on if I chose standard gamma. So, I chose gamma off but it's too dark in black parts of the image. Seeing details in darks I chose black toe strech: level 3 or 5. I guess, that's a correct setting for normal light and doesn't gain noise. In low light conditions my process settings are: gamma standard, black toe normal. If you choose standard gamma, you can get a soft image. No high whites, no high blacks, just the middle way but it is noisy. So, don't use JVC 750 only one way.

I noticed that Quick Time format recording is more noisy than MP4 recording. So, I use to record in MP4. Before editing I convert with XDcam transfer.

Has somebody any idea that JVC 750 what ISO number has?
What about its latitude? How many stops has it?

Thx.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]