FORUMS: list search recent posts

GY-HD100U - bad tape issue

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karl Soehnlein
GY-HD100U - bad tape issue
on Aug 24, 2011 at 8:43:10 pm

Hi,

I'm having an issue playing back footage I shot earlier this week. The entire tape plays back with severe and constant dropouts (both audio and video).

- The tape does not play back properly on the camera or two separate BR-HD50 decks.
- Timecode is okay - no issues with that
- The video remains blue/black for the majority of playback. If a picture appears, there is lots of digital noise.
- I cleaned the heads of the camera and the deck with a JVC head cleaning tape...it had no effect.
-Occasionally, when fast forwarding (while playing), the picture appears normal (no digital noise) but when switched to Play/Pause, the video and audio drop out immediately.

-I checked the tape twice during the shoot. Both times, there were no issues.

-The 'problem tape' is the first of two tapes recorded during the same shoot. The second tape has no issues at all.

-I've always used JVC's ProHD tapes...I've never had any problems before.

Is there any possible way to salvage the footage? I'm not sure if this is a camera head or a tape issue...

Karl Soehnlein
Reel Wave Media, LLC
http://www.reelwavemedia.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: GY-HD100U - bad tape issue
on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:27:23 pm

[Karl Soehnlein] "
Is there any possible way to salvage the footage?"

Probably not. HDV is inter frame GOP and can be fragile.

[Karl Soehnlein] " I'm not sure if this is a camera head or a tape issue..."

Unless you have a lot of hours on the heads, most likely tape. If it was a camera problem, it wouldn't fix itself. Occasionally a head clog can happen, and then clear itself without cleaning, but even this is pretty rare. You might have had a sticky tape, or some surface/edge damage on the tape. There is no confidence recording circuit in these cameras which is one of the features you sacrifice for the low price that doesn't come into play very often, but when it does it's a big deal. About all you can do is exercise standard tape handling cautions, and check the entire recording of anything that is mission critical.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Karl Soehnlein
Re: GY-HD100U - bad tape issue
on Aug 30, 2011 at 8:14:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was never able to recover the footage and will be reshooting later this week.

From everything I can tell, it was a bad tape. I had the heads on my camera and deck cleaned as a precaution. A couple of shooters with the same camera recommended switching to Panasonic HDV tapes, too.

Karl Soehnlein
Reel Wave Media, LLC
http://www.reelwavemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]