FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt file or broken clip in JVC HM700U

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dickman
Corrupt file or broken clip in JVC HM700U
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:13:13 pm

Hello all, I'm a long time reader but infrequent poster here on the Cow. So I know there are some knowledgeable people here, and I'm hoping someone can help me out with this issue...

I have a file from our HM700U that won't play on any of our Mac Pro machines.
All of the other clips on the card copied over fine, but during the copy process the computer gave an error message (don't recall what the message said, sorry) and ejected the card. We plugged the card reader into a different Mac Pro machine and were able to pull the footage off of the card and located the problem clip. The corrupt file (536G3422_01.mov) is part 1 of 2 clips that were created by the camera... but here's the kicker, part 1 is only a 2GB file, and clip 536G3422_02.mov is only 1.27GB. Combined that's 3.27GB... the camera isn't supposed to create subclips until it hits the 4GB file size limit, right?

Clip 536G3422_02.mov plays fine, btw.

The footage is 1920x1080 24p HQ in .MOV format to be edited in FCP7. It was recorded on a Delkin 16GB Class 6 SDHC card.

We've tried to play and convert the problem file in every piece of software we can think of (QT Pro, MPEG Streamclip, Compressor, VLC player, FCP7, AE CS5) but to no avail. Every application displays an "unrecognized or unsupported file format" error messsage.

Is there a way to stitch the files back together?
Is it possible that clip 536G3422_01.mov is actually more than 2GB in size, but part of the file was lost in the copy process?

I've seen reference in a couple places to the 'Restore Media' option in the cameras menu, but haven't had much luck finding detailed information about what that actually does. Will that repair the footage/file structure on the card? I'm hesitant to try it since I haven't been able to find any solid information about it.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Return to posts index

Jim Ray
Re: Corrupt file or broken clip in JVC HM700U
on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:55:59 pm

Did you ever resolve this issue? Have you come up with a process to deal with it?

I am struggling with the loss of about 30 clips from a recent event. They simple stopped being seen by the camera or my Mac. Must have powered down the camera accidentally while recording.

Used a free program called "testdisk" that was able to rebuild the directory/partition on the SD card, but the files are still flaky.

Try Testdisk if you haven't already.

Best,
Jim

Director/Producer/Videographer/Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]