FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HM700u Concerns and Questions

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dery
JVC GY-HM700u Concerns and Questions
on Jun 29, 2011 at 2:10:10 pm

Hello everyone, couple things if anyone has experienced and if so how do you correct them?

1) Three times I have experienced in the 1.5 yrs I have owned my camera that the backfocus has come undone. I have a secure Port A Brace bag, I am very careful with this camera, the back focus ring is tightened down secured so I am stumped as to why this is happening. When out on location I have been able to successfully adjust the backfocus and resume shooting.

2) I have always shot 1280x720 60p in HQ. I want to experiment and shoot hopefully my next project in 24p. Not experienced in that area anything I should do with the settings in the camera? I saw a quick clip from Videomaker the other day and it said for me to be sure to set my shutter to 1/48th. Does the GY-HM700u have a 48th setting in the shutter? I don't recall seeing one. And lastly to this question, I was reading about jitters showing up on computer monitors ( I don't have a CRT) or on certain HDTVs and I that brings me to the question, do I need to do any special converting in FCP?

3) Not a major problem, but just a pain in the butt, but whenever I input audio into FCP 6, the balance is off by -1. I then have to click on it to manual level out the audio. Is this always a normal action or a setting I need to change?

Thank you so much for any help and tips and guidance.

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
Re: JVC GY-HM700u Concerns and Questions
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:10:41 pm

Hi Brian,

I've never heard of the backfocus on the HM700 coming completely undone. I do know that Tim Dashwood recommends resetting the backfocus every time you change environments, because things like temperature change can throw it off a little (but not a lot, I would think). Dashwood's comment on this is at the 3-minute mark of this tutorial:

You shouldn't have to do anything special to bring XDCAM footage into FCP. The 700 was practically designed for it. It wraps XDCAM in QuickTime (.mov) files, which just transfer right into FCP.

I too shoot everything in 720p60 HQ, and I don't have any compelling reason to change from that. For monitoring on my Media 100 edit system (I don't use FCP), I use a cheap Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro card, which feeds HDMI into a VIZIO 22-inch Razor LED HDTV. No, it's not a professional monitor, but it's the next best thing and really affordable. I've never seen any jitters from anything I've shot on the HM700.

Return to posts index

Brian Dery
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:25:59 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

In regards to the FCP settings I was referring to the Pan of the Audio being -1. Not being a sound person I had someone tell me that true stereo is panned -1. So everytime I was doubleclicking on it and centering it I was actually making the audio wrong.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:50:42 am

[Brian Dery] "Three times I have experienced in the 1.5 yrs I have owned my camera that the backfocus has come undone. I have a secure Port A Brace bag, I am very careful with this camera, the back focus ring is tightened down secured so I am stumped as to why this is happening. When out on location I have been able to successfully adjust the backfocus and resume shooting."

All mechanical items have a tolerance. It is often quoted as a nominal dimension, plus, or minus. It could be three things.
1. Defective threads on the backfocus screw.
2. Defective threads on the backfocus adjustment collar.
3. Neither is defective, but the threads on the screw are at the minimum acceptable tolerance, and the collars threads are at the maximum allowable tolerance. In combination, these may not tighten as well as parts closer to the nominal dimension.
You're no longer in warranty so start with the easiest and cheapest fix.
Try replacing the screw and see if that helps.
You can also buy a small coil spring with an inside diameter just big enough for the screw to go through. Choose a screw that will be compressed about 50% when the screw is tightened. This is a common way to vibration proof screws that need to be adjusted. The pressure of the spring pushing up against the underside of the screw head keeps it from backing out and getting loose.

Here is a sample of what I'm talking about on a similar type of screw.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]