FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime files recorded in JVC become unsupported media files

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Judy Wium
Quicktime files recorded in JVC become unsupported media files
on May 3, 2011 at 1:22:50 pm

I'm experiencing trouble with my JVC GY-HM100E PROHD 3-CCD cam.
I shoot in 1280x720 25p HQ to quicktime format. I use two 32 GB SD cards by the brand hama.
The camera cuts the footage into two sections if the shot is more than 4 GB. On occasion one of these linked files becomes a question mark (or UNSUPPORTED MEDIA) when I try to view it on the camera in camera/media. When I load the footage into my computer it shows up as a quicktime file, but trying to play it, it says that the selected file is not a movieformat.

What can I do to recover the lost data? Is it my camera that needs repair or is it something with the SD card? It has happened to two of my SD cards independently and it only happens to some of the files on the camera, not all of them at once.

Last time it happened I checked if the files were there after shooting. They were. But later they turned into an unsupported media file even though it has just been working for playback in camera/media in the camera.

I look forward to your support!
All the best!
- Judy

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
Re: Quicktime files recorded in JVC become unsupported media files
on May 11, 2011 at 4:26:52 am

hi Judy

Have u tried opening the clip in question with something like Streamclip ?

William

Return to posts index

Judy Wium
on May 11, 2011 at 7:42:22 am

Yes, have tried opening the files in Streamclip, VLC player, FCP and tried repairing the files with freeware programmes that fixes SD cards. I've come to the conclusion that the files are broken, because the SD cards were flawed. I've exchanged the cards with new SD cards in the camera by another brand also and they work just fine.

If anyone has positive experiences with a programme that repairs quicktime files, please let me know!

Return to posts index

Ali Grossman
on May 24, 2011 at 5:31:29 am

I shoot in mp4 for avid but I experienced this 3x in the last week. The first time was a 1/2 hour clip which the camera indicated a "restore media" error. I was not able to restore the clip in camera but I was able to import the shotbdirectly into the avid. It was segmented into 3 segments, 2 with identical lengths. However, no harm done.
now, I. Am unable to access several long clips that were shot a week later. Many clips from the same cards were imported successfully but these missing clips, although on my exterior hard drive, will not import into avid. They are segmented, I.e 703-01, 703-02, 703-03. The files on the exterior hd indicate that they are large files so I am HOPING that I will be able to recover/access them. Argh. They are, of course, my most important clips. In any case, I do not think this is a qt-specific problem. I think it is a file wrapper problem but neither of my problem clips indicated a "restore media" error. HELP (please).!

Return to posts index

Olivia Courant
on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:04:28 pm

I got on here to see if I could get help with the same problem and happened to see this thread. We record on a JVC GY-HM100U PROHD with SD cards. Every so often there will be one clip in a batch of clips I import that does not load a thumbnail and no video program understands. This happens even though the .MOV extension is there and the file size is fine.

If anyone wants to give a shot at fixing one of the clips, you can get a ~50 mb one here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BH289G93

Not sure what else to try. So far I've tried VLC media player, MPEG streamclip, FinalCut Pro, Windows programs, and compressing/uncompressing the file.

Managing Editor of The Bright Side, a Michigan TV show.
brightsidetv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]