FORUMS: list search recent posts

HM100U Audio questions/problems

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Barker
HM100U Audio questions/problems
on Dec 10, 2010 at 2:02:04 am

My station has bought 4 GY-HM100U cameras as our new mainstay commercial and news cameras. Unfortunately, we're all really confused about how the audio settings work. Our reporters traditionally like to setup audio with auto gain on, but doing so causes the sound to peak continuously, both on the display readout, and when viewing the waveform later. Which completely excludes use of the auto gain feature.

On the flipside, I notice that the readout seems to peak between -12dB and -9dB, which means I often have to turn up the gain a bit in our editors later (I usually like to master at -6dB). I find that with all microphones, I can't expect to turn up the mic level nobs to more than 3 before it shows peaks. I'm all for hot preamps, but that's getting excessive, and risky.

Finally, there's this audio setting in the menu system, "Mic Level", which goes from "-2 to +2", that isn't explained, and my early tests have been fairly inconclusive as to what they really do.

Does anyone have some answers for any of these things, especially setting the auto gain so that it doesn’t peak?

Television Producer
KTVF-11 Fairbanks, Alaska
video.ericbarker.com

Return to posts index

Suzi Piker
Re: HM100U Audio questions/problems
on Mar 28, 2012 at 7:28:39 pm

Eric,

I know it's been awhile but what did you eventually sort out with the HM100U?

I just ordered it and find the preamps to be very hissy. So hissy, that if JVC doesn't swap it, I'll have to run my interview audio through an external recorder ... a major bummer. I even tested with multiple external mics ... in a sound booth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]