FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio problem JVC GY-700 more info

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Heck
Audio problem JVC GY-700 more info
on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:17:07 pm

Earlier I posted I was having sound issues with my GY-700. I sent the camera in to JVC for a look, here's what happened.

I got a call from them. They had to replace the rear or main cooling fan due to it being bad, but that was not the culprit in the noise coming through the audio.

Long story short they told me the noise I'm hearing is due to an issue, they think, with the optical cooling fan in the front. Somehow it is putting the hum or buzz onto the recording track. I was told my GY-700 is one of several they've had in with this issue. Oh yeah, there is no fix!

JVC in California told me that they've passed this info, in each case, on to their engineers in Japan. I was told to check back often for updates or possible recalls. They didn't have a way to let me know if there will be a recall or not, that it's up to me to keep checking back. However, when pressed about when they might have a fix, I was told they had no idea. He made it sound like, the tech from JVC in California, that Japan really didn't have a clue as to what's going on.

I was told to reduce the DB level to -50 instead of -60, the default, and that might help. I haven't done any taping yet but I will report what happens when I do. I am not happy at all.

I made a mistake with this camera.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: Audio problem JVC GY-700 more info
on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:19:17 am

What kind of noise is it? Is it noise, or is it a hum?

--
Meteor Tower Films
We make fun things.

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:37:47 pm

Sounds like static. You can hear it with no mics attached. Just put in the headphones and listen. It records this static as well. I have to run all of my audio through sountrack pro noise reduction to eliminate the static sound. Also, the longer the camera is on, the louder it gets.

JVC in California was able to hear it on my camera and several others, meaning they replicated the sound. They know it's an issue but there is no fix. Very frustrating. I've actually gotten five emails from other owners across the globe telling me they have the same issue from reading my original post here.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

tim wege
on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:49:14 pm

HI Jeff

We're having a similar problem, here in South Africa. It's a low level humm, until you plug in an xlr, then it ramps up. They tried replacing the audio board, but no luck. Now the camera's going back to JVC Japan. Have you heard anything? Very very frustrating.

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Nov 25, 2010 at 5:19:45 am

Nope. And you're right. When you plug in anything it gets worse. JVC in the US says they think it's something with the front optical cooling fan. I get the feeling they know what it is, but they can't do anything, about it unless Japan approves. Let me know what happens with yours. Good luck!

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Dec 15, 2010 at 2:46:36 am

I had a similar problem about ten years ago with a Sony PVW-2800. The deck kept making a "static" or "pop" sound that would intermittently appear during playback or recording. We tried replacing the audio board but that did not fix the problem. We ended up renting another PVW-2800 and proceeded to swap out all the other boards one at a time. Amazingly, the problem was with the TBC board. The TBC board doesn't really have anything to do with the audio. We ordered a new TBC board and we never had the problem again. All I am saying is - it could be a faulty component that has nothing to do with the audio signal.

Return to posts index

Kevin Kunze
on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:30:12 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm have a similar problem with my JVC GY 700U. I just emailed JVC and plan to call them later today. Did they end up refunding your camera? I really think they should have a recall.

I'm so pissed. I shot an entire feature film and only realized the hum after in post.

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
on Jan 19, 2011 at 7:46:17 pm

Another person wrote me and they have told me that the US JVC center in California thinks it calls for a new isolator ground to be added to the audio system and optical block to prevent voltage from getting into the
audio.

I know what you mean. I shot the narration for a ten part dvd series and discovered after the fact the hum was there. I'm looking to sell this camera and go a different route.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Roger Evans
on Oct 18, 2011 at 8:54:38 pm

Do not send it to JVC. I sent my camera in for warranty issues. They will not do the work right or will not return the camera. I have a GY-HM700L17XT that I sent to JVC warranty in april 2011 for a viewfinder repair, it came back not working at all and the second time I sent it to them to fix their screw-up they were so pissed that they did not send it back or return any of my calls about it. Buyer's beware

Return to posts index

Mark Ramet
on Dec 8, 2012 at 4:31:04 am

Hi Jeff,

I know this is an old thread, but I currently have the same exact problem with the GY-700, which is only about 2 years old. I'm wondering what the outcome was, and if there is in fact any fix at all? Did JVC even accept responsibility for it and what happened?

Did anyone else on this thread have any success? I LOVE the camera, but not the noise / hum being recorded...

Thanks everyone in advance.

Cheers,

Mark
http://www.smallbusinessvideo.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/smallbusinessvideo
(Melbourne, Australia)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]