FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HM790 vs JVC GY-HM700?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Graves
JVC GY-HM790 vs JVC GY-HM700?
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:55:21 pm

Hello there,

What are the main differences between the JVC GY-HM790 Camera and the JVC GY-HM700 Camera? My experience from what I have seen is the 700 is not that good in low light. Here is a good example from youtube on the lowlight of the 700:

I just talked to a guy from B and H, he told me that the 790 should be better in low light, even though it is the same size 1/3" Sensor, but it is newer. I would so buy the 700, but the low light capabilities is turing me off from buying the 700. If you own or use the 700 regularly, please convince me why I should consider buying the 700, since there is that low light problem. Thank you in Advance for your posts.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: JVC GY-HM790 vs JVC GY-HM700?
on Jun 30, 2010 at 1:48:26 am

The 790 is designed for a studio environment, with timecode, genlock, etc. The 700 is designed for ENG and low-end digital cinema. According to a tech I talked with at JVC, he said that the sensors were the same, but he wasn't 100% sure.

If you're shooting in really low light, get an EX-3. I prefer the HM700 because I need the form factor, FCP workflow, and global shutter. We're usually shooting in situations where we're lighting, anyway -- so it's never really been an issue.

What do you want to use the camera for?

Meteor Tower Films
We make music videos, design video for live theater, and build interesting contraptions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved