FORUMS: list search recent posts

I am looking to buy a JVC GY-HM700U

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Hardison
I am looking to buy a JVC GY-HM700U
on Jun 20, 2010 at 4:46:58 am

I want a tapeless camera and I really like this one but it is a little out of my price range. The cheapest one I can find is around $5500. Will I be able to import into premiere cs4 with this camera? Is there a cheaper camera with a shallow dof like the 700?

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: I am looking to buy a JVC GY-HM700U
on Jun 20, 2010 at 6:49:00 pm

Yes, it'll work fine with CS4. Ask the Google -- you'll find other forum posts about it.

The Sony EX-1 and EX-3 cameras are close in DOF characteristics.

What will you use the camera for?

--
Meteor Tower Films
We make music videos, design video for live theater, and build interesting contraptions.

Return to posts index

Mitch Hardison
on Jun 20, 2010 at 9:28:46 pm

Plays, dance recitals and weddings. I can spend 10,000 so I was thinking of getting one JVC GY-HM700U and another less expensive camera for my wide angle. Is that not a good idea. Will you be able to tell a big difference if i use too different cameras. I also want the other camera to be tapeless also. What would you go with?

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Jun 20, 2010 at 9:33:19 pm

The Sony EX-1 is better in low-light. If you're doing any handheld work, absolutely get the HM700. Fantastic form factor.

Personally, I'd recommend the HM700 for your primary cam and the HM100 for your wide shots.

--
Meteor Tower Films
We make music videos, design video for live theater, and build interesting contraptions.

Return to posts index

Mitch Hardison
on Jun 20, 2010 at 9:37:58 pm

Great... Thanks so much for the help

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Jun 22, 2010 at 2:41:18 pm

I agree. I have both the 700 and 100 cameras and they work very well together. Plus, the media for the JVC's is SOOO much cheaper than for the Sonys. And for what you're shooting, you can record up to two hours continuously at the highest resolution.

Return to posts index

Mitch Hardison
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:07:56 pm

Thanks. I am purchasing both the cameras tomorrow from B&H. What kind of memory cards do you use and where do you buy them. I am going to record my first play in 720 and I have a 16gb card for both cameras. How much record time do you think that will give me. I need at least 2 1/2 hours

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:21:45 pm

Congrats!

I use the SanDisk Extreme class 10 16 GB cards. You'd probably be able to get away with using just class 6 cards for what you're doing, if you want to save a little money.

You can record 180 min on 32 GB of media in 720p in SP mode (which should be sufficient for what you're doing). On page 33 of the HM700 manual, there's a chart with resolution / record time.

--
Meteor Tower Films

Return to posts index

Lou Caputo
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:22:29 pm

We use Transcend cards and we buy them from Amazon. I don't often shoot at 720, but at 1080 we can get about 1/2 hour on a 8gb and almost an hour on a 16gb card. The nice thing about these cameras is that it switches automatically from one card to another when the first card is full. It is seamless, so you don't lose anything. Also, while the camera is recording on one card, you can eject the other if it is full and replace it without a problem. In this way, you could feasibly record till your batteries die or you run out of media.

Return to posts index

Mitch Hardison
on Jun 22, 2010 at 3:45:05 pm

Great! Thanks a lot for the help guys

Return to posts index

Tristan Chaika
on Jun 22, 2010 at 6:44:01 pm

We just finished a month and a half of shooting dance with the HM700. It held up really well, and the picture quality was fantastic, especially compared to our older HD100s which are a little flat in their colors, even with the color gain pumped up (not HM100 mentioned earlier). Still not super in low-light, though. The sony cameras should be better at that since they are CMOS chips instead of CCD. They also have a shallower dof because of their 1/2 inch chips, compared to 1/3 inch (that's the word on the street, anyway, I haven't run a personal comparison)

I really like the HM700, though. It's a great tool. My ONLY caveat is the RET trigger right by the zoom rocker - very easy to hit.

One bit of advice, test the SD memory you will be using before going out on a shoot. The original batch of SD cards we received DID NOT work with this camera. I wish I could remember the brand. They were class 6, and everything. We have found SanDisk Extreme and the Transcend Class 6 cards (as mentioned above) work well and also the Class 6 Patriot SD cards.

-Tristan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]