FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-HD200E FireWire issues!!

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Van der Horst
JVC GY-HD200E FireWire issues!!
on May 31, 2010 at 12:27:00 am

Hi, i'm new here,( always was a spectator) and if i did not post this in the right catogory i'm sorry..

I moved from shooting on MiniDV tape with a Canon XL1's to a JVC GY-HD200E. So i shot my first HDV tape on my JVC. And could not wait to see the results. And now 9hours of figuring out what to do. Still no footage captured, I really need some help!!

This is what i did..

First i made sure the camera was switched off. Switched the DV switch to HDV on the side of the camera. Connected the firewire cable. switched it on.. go in to VTR mode. go to FCP, made sure all the settings in FCP are the same as the Camera -> HDV 720P/25fps -> PBouput set to HDV. open Log and Capture and get the message the tape deck or camera is not connected. I'm sure the Firewire port(s) arent fried, because I captured once on the Firestore F4 ( only DV ) and Succesly transferd everything.

I know i have to press the record button to Capture. But then i discovered my mac. 8th core 6gig DDR3 did not reconigzed my Firewire cable a (firewire2) 800pins to 400-6pins ( with a small adapter which is not damaged! ) It cant be true that my new mac isnt ready for a fetaure like this right?

So i tried to capture a DV tape with my old canon xls and there is nothing wrong not for FCP, MAC, or the Camera.. I also tried various options as a workaround but i dont know what to do...It reads the DV settings like it should be, and nothing for HDV
I need more experience..
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for my bad English:)

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: JVC GY-HD200E FireWire issues!!
on May 31, 2010 at 12:48:08 pm

You need to set the camera up and turn it on before you open FCP.

The DV and HDV firewire are separated on this camera, because it worked on DV does not confirm the HDV is okay.

Video tutorial connecting JVC to FCP and capturing as ProRes; http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/vlog/?p=61

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Wayne Van der Horst
on May 31, 2010 at 12:54:06 pm

Hi Phil,
Thanks for your comment!!

I tried the method you mentiond above earlier, and also watched the tutorial.. but still no go.. is it possible there might be something wrong with the HDV ilink switch? Or should i try a another cable? I tried all the fw ports. ( nothing else is attached to a fw port )Im sure there is no communication at all between the camera and the mac.

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Wayne Van der Horst
on May 31, 2010 at 5:26:44 pm

O and my mac reconigzes the JVC camera, when i want to transfer in DV mode.. when i switch to HDV it's over.. I read a articile about a guy who had the same issue, And his ilink to HDV was fried. so had to be repared

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on May 31, 2010 at 10:43:12 pm

The DV and HDV firewire are separated on these cameras.
The DV side can be functioning whilst the HDV is faulty.

You could try downloading the demo version of Veescope Live and connecting your camera that way.
http://www.dvdxdv.com/NewFolderLookSite/VeeScope/Products/VeescopeLive.over...

It's a useful program that allows you to record .mov direct to your laptop. If it works in DV and not in HDV you have isolated your problem. It's costly fix if the HDV firewire is faulty.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Wayne Van der Horst
on Jun 1, 2010 at 1:29:41 pm

Thursday it's gonna be repared. Im sure the problem will be fixed then, Ill let you know.. thanks for the link!!

and thanks again for providing support!!

grtz Wayne

Return to posts index

Will Granzier
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:41:27 pm

OK Well I can tell you that it took me a while yo figure it out on my 101. But this worked for me... Capture preset I set to the intermediate codec or 422 pro rez. And the firewire setting I use HDV.

Hope it helps u

Return to posts index

Wayne Van der Horst
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:19:41 pm

I figured out what the problem was, i ( stupidly ) used a firewire cable which was reconnected with a connecter e.g. Firewire to miniusb to firewire400.. well I used a straightforward cable, firewire 400 to 800 problem solved... thats why my mac recognized it in DV and not HDV, recently im the proud owner of the FS-5 DTE. It's so lovely..... Thank you everybody for helping out..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]