FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there an easy solution for this unique JVC-HM700, FCP, Multi-cam editing issue?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Popolo
Is there an easy solution for this unique JVC-HM700, FCP, Multi-cam editing issue?
on May 11, 2010 at 4:14:17 pm

I love the solid state recording to SDHC cards.
I love the multi-camera editing on Final Cut Pro.
I love the general workflow as advertised by both manufacturers.

I HATE the following issue that arises from doing so...

Because the SDHC cards follow the FAT32 protocol, there is a limit on file size. So for a single recorded shot that lasts for a long time (say, an hour), the quicktime movie that the JVC creates, actually creates MULTIPLE files to create the movie. For example, shooting at 720p30, a one hour uninterrupted shot creates 3 mov files, each about 3.45GB, and each about 20 minutes long (JVC automatically assigns them "filename"_01.mov, "filename"_02.mov, etc). This is not a big deal in itself. The successive files easily line up in the timeline without missing a frame. (with me so far?)

Okay, now add a second camera to a live event. Each camera starts to record the event . Assuming the cameras don't start recording at the exact same time, then the ending point of that first file will be at a different point in the action (of which the camera operator has no control).

Now, let's go into FCP and start to multi-cam edit. We sync up the first two clips from each camera and create a multi-clip. However, because the last frame of each of the files are not in the same spot, the multi-clip only works up until the first camera's file runs out, leaving an "orphan" from the other camera's clip. And subsequently, the beginning of the next multi-clip, starts out with an orphan from the first camera's file, again, unusable within the multi-clip environment.

My current workaround is to razor cut and keep track of those orphans and "patch" the transition. Very tedious and a pain in the #$$ (have to deal with the audio too).

I have tried to first "nest" the successive clips into sequences for each camera shot, but FCP won't allow multi-clips editing using sequences.

Any solution out there?
Thanks
Anthony

Return to posts index

Paolo Ciccone
Re: Is there an easy solution for this unique JVC-HM700, FCP, Multi-cam editing issue?
on May 11, 2010 at 4:31:32 pm

What about exporting each camera "multi-clip" as an external QT movie, using something like uncompressed or SheerVideo and then re-import them for the multi-camera edit.
FYI, Premiere Pro does multi-edit for sequences.

--
Paolo Ciccone
Pret-A-3D
http://www.preta3d.com
http://www.paolociccone.com

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
Re: Is there an easy solution for this unique JVC-HM700, FCP, Multi-cam editing issue?
on May 11, 2010 at 9:24:53 pm

Hi Paolo,
Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, I considered exporting the clips "put together" (using Quicktime compressor right out of FCP), but now we're looking at export time and hard drive space. One of the things I liked about the SDHC cards in FCP is that I was ready to edit right from the cards, not needing the time or drive space like I did with capturing tapes.
My current "patch" method, while tedious, might still be my preferred method for this reason.
I'm hoping there is some shortcut within FCP. I may try reposting there.
It's nice to know that Premiere lets you multi-clip sequences. Something I may consider when I get tired of FCP.

Thanks!
Anthony

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on May 12, 2010 at 1:22:47 pm

Are you running time code in the "Run" mode on each of the two cams?

Each clip might then have a common reference point.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on May 12, 2010 at 3:21:11 pm

Hi Charlie,
Thanks for your response. I've thought about the time code, but might not understand whether it would help. Yes, it would give me a way to sync the clips in post, but it would still leave me with different break points for each camera's file (unless the cameras both started recording at the exact same moment, making the break point at the same spot).

Maybe I'm missing something. Could you clarify?

Thanks
Anthony

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on May 12, 2010 at 8:52:55 pm

I've shot two 700s with the time code on each zeroed to 01:00:00:00 and set to "Free."

When a cam stops recording and is restarted it will be at the same TC as the other cam which kept running.

This has worked fine in FCP in "Make Multi-Clip." While the project was a five minute demonstration all I did was "cut" between the two levels of video like live switching.

I know that .mov clip files are limited, and don't know how it would work with your hour+ project and numerous clips. I'm wondering if the TC would get you past the "orphans."

I hope someone out there has a "Eureka!" moment, and comes up with the "Silver Bullet."

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on May 16, 2010 at 5:17:06 pm

A while back, Tim Dashwood mentioned that his software company was working on a tool to manage HM700 & HM100 video files, splicing together multiple clips, copying the files, etc.

Dunno what became of that.

--
Meteor Tower Films
We make music videos, design video for live theater, and build interesting contraptions.

Return to posts index

Anthony Popolo
on May 16, 2010 at 8:18:48 pm

Interesting. I'll try to investigate. Thanks.
The 700 came with a "Media Manager" software CD, and I was hoping there was a function like that included, but couldn't find one.
Thanks
A

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]