FORUMS: list search recent posts

HM700 lens's

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lyas
HM700 lens's
on Apr 24, 2010 at 12:42:27 pm

Hi

I'm seeking opinions about the stock standard lens that come with the GY-HM700 Cams.

I bought a Sony EX3 about a year ago and found that that the Barrel Distorsion / Pin Cushion effect of the lens that the came with the cam was so unbearable that I successfully managed to return it.

I find that the aberration is worse with vertical structures like pergola posts, lamp posts and straight up and down edges of buildings etc.

The Sony I had would for example fully zoomed in to a vertical structure would convex to the right, as I progressed a reveal shot, the post would bend to the left, ending with rubber like images that were just terrible, well at least I couldn't live with.

So the 700 comes with options like Fuji 17 x 5 & Fuji 17 x 4.5 and Canon 14 x's.

Am I expecting to much from stock lens?

Should I just buy a cam body and spend the equivelent amount on a better lens?

Opinions please

Michael

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: HM700 lens's
on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:08:45 pm

Hi,
I think you have to consider what these lenses cost. 'Back in the day' before these inexpensive HD cameras were even thought of, a good mid-range zoom for a Betacam would run you 10-20k. And those were for 4:3 ratio, which is a lot easier to do. Yeah, it would be great to have less barrel distortion, CA, bigger aperture, etc. But for the money, these lenses are ok.
Really to have an HD lens included with the camera, and the whole thing cost less than what we used to spend on a set of sticks.

I haven't seen the Canon and the Fujinon side by side, but I have seen some posts (elsewhere) that folks liked the Canon. Even so, at the price point, my guess is there is always some trade-off in performance to be considered. Just like CCD vs CMOS, it just a question of which flaws in the system you find least annoying. I think when you consider the size of the camera sensor, format, colorspace, vs the cost and performance of better lenses, it might be easy to get into an area of diminishing returns.

I'm not sure what you shoot, but the majority of the audience are not editors, or DP's, and unless your stuff is heading for the big screen, I doubt the viewer will see these flaws. All gear has strong and weak points, I would just set up my shots to minimize the weakness of the gear. If your story is good, the audience probably won't notice.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Lyas
Re: HM700 lens's
on Apr 26, 2010 at 11:24:08 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I saw this lens over at the JVC section at Dvinfo

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/industrial_bctv/p_eng_KT17ex4.3BIRSE_intro.sh...

I live in Australia, the poster who brought this lens to attention was thinking maybe Euro 6000 -8000 which is about US$9000-1000 or Australian $11000 - 13000

Nearly twice the price of the Gy-hm 700 Camera body

Cheers

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]