FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY 700 noise in darks

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Erlinder
JVC GY 700 noise in darks
on Apr 21, 2010 at 8:24:08 pm

Hello, all.
Just bought a bunch of 700's for our university and we found a curious phenomenon.
Our students obviously edit on computers (Macs) and display their HD footage on them too (or post it to the web, like Vimeo, where you are using a computer as well)
The noise level in the blacks of the picture (base line settings) is awful on the computer monitor, thought not easily seen in regular HD-SDI feed to an HD monitor.
The same is NOT true of our EX-1.

I know color space between the two worlds (video/computer) are different and the chip size between the cameras is different.
My guess is the 2/3 inch CMOS chip in the EX-1 has less issues with signal to noise ratio than do the 1/3 in CCD's in the JVC. The weird part is, I don't notice this as much when we shot on the older 110's in HDV, even thought the chips were the same and the bit rate LESS than the 700.

I know the computer screen is not the best place to see HD video, but it IS where the students are judging quality- and many are using HP Dreamcolor or Apple Cinema computer monitors for viewing.

Anyone else have issues? I'd love to know...

Scott

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: JVC GY 700 noise in darks
on Apr 22, 2010 at 4:30:54 pm

Are you shooting in 720p or 1080p? Do you have noise reduction turned on? How high do you have detail set at?

--
Meteor Tower Films
Video creations for music, art, & theater.
http://meteortower.com/

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:00:40 pm

Scott,
When we first started using the 700 I noticed the noise in the blacks right away. Here are a couple of steps that have significantly helped:
- Make sure you have the latest firmware update (available on the JVC website)
- Shoot in 720p instead of 1080i (if possible)
- Lower the master black in the camera to minus 1

I wouldn't say that the black are clean now, but they are much improved to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore (unless I've just gotten used to it).

Jon

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC
http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:05:59 pm

I absolutely agree with Jon -- the firmware update helps a bit, and the image is far cleaner in 720p than 1080.

I caution you against lowering the master black -- you will lose some image data. If you need to, crush the blacks in post.

I'd also recommend lowering the Detail setting to at least -3. I have my camera set to -7. Add whatever sharpness you'd like in post, not in-camera.

--
Meteor Tower Films
Video creations for music, art, & theater.
http://meteortower.com/

Return to posts index

Scott Erlinder
on Apr 23, 2010 at 3:38:03 am

Thanks guys!
This confirms close to what I got back from the JVC engineer today. The 1080 recordings are really ca-ca in my book and lowering detail was a nice "touch". I'm spreading the word to my students right now.

Next step is better glass. I'm not exactly in love with the stock Canon or Fuji lenses. Lots of chromatic aberrations- and wide open, I couldn't ever get the Fujinon to look sharp, no matter how hard I tried to adjust back focus.

Guess I have to shell out for the nice wide angle...

Many thanks again,
Scott

Return to posts index

Jason Roberts
on Sep 29, 2013 at 1:43:54 pm

I noticed that too, I have jvc GY hd-100. Played around with the black compress as we'll in it seemed to help. The dslrs look like they are filming better black detail that the camcorders.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]