FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixed audio inputs GY-HM700

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Betts
mixed audio inputs GY-HM700
on Apr 21, 2010 at 2:12:22 am

Recorded an event recently with 1 channel of line audio from a mixer while the other channel was the camera mic. I did this for a dance performance where I wanted clean, pristine audio for the music but had to get audience reaction and applause as well. Observed 2 distinct audio levels during recording. Copied the files from the SDHC card to my external hard drive and brought them into Final Cut Pro for editing. What I found was a stereo mix of both channels combined with 1 channel serving as the left channel and the other as the right. What I want to achieve is 2 sets of stereo channels so that I can manipulate the volume levels where the line feed is "up front" during the music segment and the camera mic during applause.

Is there a menu setting or some other adjustment with the camcorder to help me achieve this? Or is what I'm trying to accomplish something that can only be done in my editing application?

Got another shoot like this one coming up again and want to streamline my workflow.

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
Re: mixed audio inputs GY-HM700
on Apr 21, 2010 at 7:08:53 pm

Keith,
The 700 can only record 2 channels of 16 bit audio at time, so you can't have 2 channels of stereo audio recorded on to the camera (which would be 4 channels of audio). You can have two mono channels of audio. Once you get the files into FCP, select all your clips and then un-check "stereo pair" which is under "modify > stereo pair". Then pan all your audio to the center which is under "modify > audio > pan center". This will give you separate mono audio files both panned to the center which you can then adjust the levels separately.

One thing to keep an eye on is phase cancellation. When you have two separate recordings of the same audio source, they can sometimes cancel each other out and you will end up with a very "weak sounding" recording even though your levels are strong. I would only push up the crowd mic when you need to add some audience feedback. Otherwise, I would keep the crowd mic very low or off altogether.

Hope this helps. Feel free to call me if you are still stuck.
Jon
260-223-1922

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC
http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:36:45 pm

Your technical advice for the adjustment in FCP was brilliant! I read the JVC manual almost cover to cover and came to the conclusion I would probably have to make an adjustment in my editing app. You just saved me a lot of time trying to find that solution. This is not the first time you've come to my rescue! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Northfield
on May 11, 2012 at 9:58:23 pm

I suffer the same problem as you do but my work is for University. I suppose it just highlights the important of using external audio recorders instead of relying solely on camera inputs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]