JVC GH-HD110 settings
on Apr 10, 2010 at 3:11:33 am

Windows 7

CS4 Premiere Pro and AE

Nvadia 9800 GT

6GB Ram

Hello good friends !

Let's hope someone is kind enough to help me with these issues

Being an Audio recording engineer for a while and I am trying to learn some video edting .

So far I worked with Premiere and AE CS3 and CS4 and really liked it

I created couple music video of my own by using the JVC GY-HD110 Camera , but in SD mode only and worked pretty much with SD footage.

Now I am done with SD videos

Now that I have my hands on some experience , the next thing that I have to learn is "How to work with HD footage"

My JVC GY-HD110 Camcorder shoots in SD mode as well as in HDV-HD24P with Frame Rates of 60/30 , 50/25 and 24P

And I aslo can set the HD PB output to

1. Native

2. 720P

3. 1080I

4. 480P

5. NTSC

6. 576P

7. PAL

On page 64 and 65 of the manual

Link

http://www.jvc.co.uk/files/instruction_manual/lst0392-001b-h.pdf

Everytime that I shoot my videos, they are only 5 mins long , just a typical music video

And i did try to read whatever they had on Wikipedia for the questions that I had, but honestly didn't understand much and I got more confused

My questions are :

What do you recommend from your experiences as far using what settings to choose to get a good result for a 5 mins music video

And what are these Presets for , when trying to create a new project in CS4

HDV 1080i25 (50i)

HDV 1080i 30 (60i)

HDV 1080 p24

and ect....

For example my Camera shoots 24p with frame rate of 60/30 or 50/25 or 24p

How can I tell which One I suppose to use .

like I said my Project is nothing more than 5 mins music videos and NTSC. based station .

Thank You in Advanced !

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: JVC GH-HD110 settings
on Apr 11, 2010 at 12:48:30 am

It would help if you could be more specific about the venue for your final product, since some outputs would favor one format vs another. It is best to shoot and post at settings that match your final output, and avoid transcoding whenever possible.
As far as recommending general 110 settings, IMHO 720P is better than 1080i. Interlace footage can be an artifact nightmare, since most places your footage might play will be progressive, and it will have to be converted. So, being progressive(720P), even at a smaller frame size will usually give better results. Unless your final output requires 24fps, I would stick with 30(29.97)fps. Once again, less atrifacts since removing/adding pulldown can cause problems. I know its really chic' to shoot 24fps, but unless your going DI to film, stick with 30fps.
I'm a Final Cut guy, but in general terms your editing import/project settings should match your source footage. So with the settings I recommend, that would be HDV 720p 30/60

Here is an example of a music vid shot with a 110U at 720P/30. This was posted with FCP 6

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Qader eshpari
on Apr 11, 2010 at 3:27:15 am

Thanks for the reply Scott
The JVC GY HD110 I don't has the 720P
Btw, I live in USA , so I have to work with NTSC formats
My final outputs have to be in 2 formats
1. Youtube HD
2. SD(windows AVI or QuickTime) for local TV station, which can play only SD
The reason I wanna work with HD is because I have to post it on YouTube as well as few other places on the Internet.

Return to posts index

Qader eshpari
on Apr 11, 2010 at 6:02:44 am

Corrections :

JVC GY HD110 Does record in 720P, I think its the same as 24p !

But the Camera gives me choice to output it to different formats like 1080i and etc....correct ?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 11, 2010 at 7:07:51 am

Hi,
The settings on the 110 can be confusing.
The 110U can shoot 24fps or 30fps(29.97). It can shoot in SD 480I, or HDV720P. It doesn't shoot in 1080I native. You can shoot in 720P, and playback and it will convert it to 1080I on the output, but that isn't the way to go. The cameras converter is probably not all that great. Anytime you increase frame size on a conversion, you loose quality.

Since you want to go interlaced SD for broadcast, and progressive HD for the net you have a problem. This would be a piece of cake in Final Cut Pro. You would shoot 720P and transcode it to 480I for broadcast. Of course you would either have to center frame all the shots, or pan and scan them.
I don't know the workflow for Premier, so its hard to say if it can do that, or how good it would look. Better to ask a Premier/AE guy. Since your broadcast has to have 480I, the easiest is to shoot that, and just put that on YT. IMHO doing an in camera upconvert to 1080i isn't getting you anything. For HD, just stick with the native (720P) shoot and output.
You might want to post on a AE forum. If this situation is something that you are going to deal with a lot, you might think about going to Final Cut Pro.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Qader eshpari
on Apr 12, 2010 at 12:06:02 am

Thanks Scott
Well , I don't have any special reason towards 1080i footage, its just that I am a bit new with HD videos and I am a bit confused which format works for me the best .
I mean my camera is not that bad JVC GY HD110, which records 720p .
As you mentioned , I am gonna start off with 24p, then I am gonna create my project , then I am gonna render it as 720p footage , is that about right ?
Then i am gonna follow Jeff's tutorials to convert back to SD
here is the link:
http://www.bellunevideo.com/tutdetail.php?tutid=12

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 12, 2010 at 3:22:38 am

If you are delivering to broadcast, don't shoot 24fps, shoot 30fps. If you shoot 24, you will have to add pulldown to convert it for SD broadcast. This is an unnecessary step you should avoid.
If your shooting for SD broadcast, and they want NTSC spec video, shoot 30fps, and use 480i frame size. That will not need any conversion.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Qader eshpari
on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:01:16 am

Thanks again Scott
Ok I got you
One thing that I don't understand is, why people shoot 24p
I mean where I live (USA) NTSC is the format , which is I believe 29.97fps
and I think PAL is 25fps
But anyways, the reason I wanted to shot in HD was , i am trying have better quality for the Internet, like YT or Vimeo and etc...
So, now i am shoot in HDV 30p (30fps Progressive), I'll use the Preset from Premiere CS4 and Render it to 720p or 1080p ?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Apr 12, 2010 at 5:32:39 pm

People shoot 24fps for a couple of good reasons, and some poor reasons.

1. Same frame rate as film, and the project is going to film for distribution.

2. Going to distribute in international markets and domestic markets and they just want to start with a common frame rate.

3. To get a softer look to the material, and have it look less like video. There is some merit to this, but it still doesn't look like film.

4. Because it is hip and trendy to shoot like film guys.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media

Return to posts index

Qader eshpari
on Apr 12, 2010 at 12:20:18 am

Corrections, here is the link that shows how to convert HD to SD using Premiere CS4
http://www.bellunevideo.com/tutvideo.php?tutid=10

Return to posts index

Qader eshpari
on Apr 12, 2010 at 9:14:00 pm

Ok Thanks Scott
Last question that I have is , now that I am gonna shoot in HD 30p
what the final output should be to get the best out of my footage
like I said I have to have it i 2 different format at the end
1. youtube , which CS4 already has a preset (I know this one)

2. 1080i or 1080p or any other format or video type, then I have to convert it back to SD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]