FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC ProHD Log and Transfer Plugin

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Jones
JVC ProHD Log and Transfer Plugin
on Apr 9, 2010 at 1:48:11 pm

Does the "JVC ProHD Log and Transfer Plugin" allow you to convert to ProRes while ingesting into FCP?

I shot a seminar with two JVC cameras (GY-HM100 & GY-HM700). I edited the 1.25 hour sequence in the native format (XDCAM EX 720p30) and I noticed that Final Cut Pro had to "conform" for a very long time before I could output to Compressor. I ended up transcoding all the clips to ProRes and re-linking so I would not have to endure the conform process again.

Basically, I don't really understand what the "JVC Log and Transfer Plug In" is used for. Does it allow you to insert the memory card into a card reader and have FCP bring the footage in via Log & Transfer? Currently, if I want to edit in ProRes, I have to put the XDCAM EX card media into Compressor and have Compressor convert the media to ProRes.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
Re: JVC ProHD Log and Transfer Plugin
on Apr 9, 2010 at 2:35:26 pm

I can't use the plugin -- I'm on a G5, not an Intel system. However, from what I understand in the manual, the log and transfer process only re-wraps the XDCAM EX video from the MP4 container into a QuickTime container. It doesn't convert it to ProRes 422.

At any rate, you can avoid some of the long rendering and conforming process by rendering to ProRes 422. In the Sequence Settings dialog box, in the Render Control tab, set the codec to ProRes 422. Whenever you have to render, it'll render to ProRes instead of XDCAM EX.

--
Meteor Tower Films
Video creations for music, art, & theater.
http://meteortower.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]