FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Recommendations?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Karsner
Camera Recommendations?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 3:44:04 pm

I am looking at purchasing a new camera rig in the next couple of months. Any recommendations on camera's in the $6,000-$8,000 range? My edit suite is a Media 100 and would like to stay with it but I am willing to look at Final Cut if it is more compatible with camera. I want the flexibility of HD and SD.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Camera Recommendations?
on Apr 3, 2010 at 8:24:12 pm

Since you are in the JVC forum, I guessing that is the direction you want to go.
I'm using the GY-HD110U. It works well for me, and can shoot in HD, or SD. And it plays well with FCP. I love the traditional VF and control layout. I'm also in the 720p is better looking than 1080i camp. If HDV is a concern, the JVC has a much smaller GOP than the Sony (6 vs 15), and is much less processor intensive to edit native in FCP.
You could probably pick up a used one, and have money left over for matte box, batteries etc. Even though the camera can shoot SD, I never do. Shoot HD, and down convert if needed, is really the way to go. FCP makes that pretty easy.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL101642&feature...

If you want to go new, look at the GY-HM700U. Tapeless workflow, Cannon glass.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101851

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jon Leyse
on Apr 5, 2010 at 12:48:18 pm

Bob,

We bought the JVC GY-HM700 last summer and have been very pleased with the outcome. We are using FCP so the work flow is very seamless. I'm so glad to be done with tape. The SDHC cards have worked great and are very affordable. I also agree that with this camera the 720p image is much crisper and easier to work with than the 1080i.

I researched the Panasonic AG-HPX300 and the Sony EX-3 as well. Each camera has it's strengths, but my priorities were:
- full size camera I can sit on my shoulder
- price of the media (SDHC vs. P2 or SXS)
- Work flow with Final Cut Pro
- Camera/lens Price

There are great discussion about chip size, CCD vs. CMOS, compression codecs and a lot of other technical issues that are over my head. I tried to make my decision based on things I understand like
- can I hold the camera on my shoulder and get a good shot in a run an gun situation?
- How much additional cost will the media add to the cost of the camera?
- How much time will I spend logging and transferring files before I can start editing?
- How many jobs will I have to work before this camera has paid for itself?

For my situation, the JVC 700 was the best fit and I would still agree almost a year later.

Hope this helps,
Thanks
Jon

Jon Leyse
Crash 31, LLC
http://www.crash31.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Apr 7, 2010 at 1:43:20 pm

Bob,

I completely agree with Jon. We have had our two 700's nearly a year and each is flawless.

Not knowing your application, it's a reliable cam with a pro feel and the SDHC cards with FCP make life easier than tape.

Charlie Cogar
Omaha, Nebraska

Return to posts index

Bob Karsner
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:34:23 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions. For you guys using the 700s, how do you archive your raw footage. Do you have a method for this? Does anyone know how the 700s work with a Media100 suite? I have 12 years of editing and lots of money invested into Media100 and would hate to leave the system.

Thanks for all you help.
Bob Karsner
Destiny Productions

Bob Karsner
Destiny Productions - Kentucky

Return to posts index

Charlie Cogar
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:07:01 pm

Bob,

I don't know anything about Media100, and have never been in a shop that's used it.

When we bought the 700s I suggested that we graduate to a Digital Asset Management system for storing raw footage and projects. So far there is no progress on D.A.M.

We have a department server with common folders where we store by subject or client finished programs, digital pix, etc. This works well as anyone can find anything. (Although there is no formal directory or library search capability.) As much as I want a searchable database, this works for us.

I transfer raw footage from the 700 by Firewire to a 500gb LaCie hard drive. I then transfer the clips I want (Quicktime files) to Final Cut Pro.

In-progress FCP projects are saved to the LaCie as well as "my" 320gb Western Digital HD.

I hope this helps.

I welcome advice that can improve this process.

Charlie Cogar

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
on May 23, 2010 at 4:10:37 am

Bob,

Sorry I'm so late in responding to your post. I've been a Media 100 user for many years, and I will be getting the JVC HM700U within the next couple of weeks. You should know that JVC advertises the compatibility with Final Cut Pro for obvious reasons (FCP is better known than Media 100), but it's really just a .mov (QuickTime) file format that they're using to wrap the video files in. That means that your JVC files will be just as compatible with Media 100 as they will be with FCP.

To test this, I downloaded some sample 700U files that were shot in 1080p and 720p, and I just dragged and dropped them onto my Media 100 bin window. This ease of workflow is one of several reasons why I chose the 700U -- I think Jon Leyse (above) listed some excellent reasons, too.

Ever since Boris bought Media 100, some wonderful improvements have been made to that product. It's still by far the easiest to use NLE, (IMHO) and it does everything I need. Too bad it doesn't get the attention that FCP gets.

I commend JVC for being the first company to work with Apple to provide .mov files right out of the camera. That's one of the primary reasons they're getting my business.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]