FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noisy 250u, Cooling Fan Going Bad?

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Pullen
Noisy 250u, Cooling Fan Going Bad?
on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:17:31 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else ever experienced an issue of a loud squealing noise coming from the bottom of the camera near the back end where the vent is It sounds to me like a cooling fan is going bad, and my concern is that if it ultimately does die out, whatever components it is cooling will overheat, and what should have been a simple fan replacement, is now a major rebuild. Anyone know if this is a DIY project for someone with some experience working on broadcast equipment at the component level?

Thanks,

Chuck Pullen

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
Re: Noisy 250u, Cooling Fan Going Bad?
on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:52:39 pm

That's funny, I just read this quote from Jim Jannard, president of Red Digital Cinema, giving tips on how to get the best results from the Red One:

"If fans get noisy, replace them. Professional cameras need maintenance."

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:34:05 pm

Makes sense to me, guess I should schedule a visit with the JVC repair shop, I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem, knows the cost, turn around time, etc...?

Return to posts index

Aaron Barnes
on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:28:57 am

I'm curious to know what your end results are... I have a 200u with a noisy cooling fan, at least thats my thought. Mine had 433 hours on it... I'm guessing it is time to replace it but I don't know cost or if it is something that has to be done by the manufacturer.
Any info would be extremely helpful.

-aaron

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:01:55 pm

I actually missed my window for a simple fix of this issue. JVC closed their local repair shop, and I don't want to ship it across the country and back if I don't have to. Honestly I gave the thing a good cleaning and hit the fan vent area on the bottom with lots of air and blast of contact cleaner, and I think it went away.

I have a laundry list of questions for JVC when I go to NAB, if I get an answer, I will let you know.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:29:11 pm

Sounds like you should take your 250 with you to NAB -- kill two birds with one stone.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:44:46 pm

Not a bad idea Mark, I should find out if that's something that they can do at the booth. I've been bugging them for years to come up with an adapter so that you can use the camera without the sled and still access the camera control/tally functions, and now we are all wanting for a Blu-Ray recorder with HD/SDI inputs and their 1500 is the closest thing, so I will be chatting with them quite a bit.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jan 10, 2011 at 2:51:47 pm

Awesome! I would LOVE to be able to use one of my 250's as a "rover cam" in our church services, yet still have full CCU control + tally. Please post back their response regarding any "sans-sled" studio adapter possibilities.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jan 10, 2011 at 3:34:50 pm

There are 2 options for you Mark, did you know that JVC came out with a "sled" for handheld use?

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?&feature_id=01&model_id=MDL...

Here is the cheaper solution that I use, I picked up these "local" camera controls, and extended them using 250' PS2 cables lashed to ENG cables. You can find them from security camera suppliers, and at the very least you can control iris and white balance functions. The only thing missing is a tally light.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?&feature_id=01&model_id=MDL...

Chuck

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jan 10, 2011 at 3:38:06 pm

Aha! It's been so long since I did the original spec work for our systems and I had a haunting fragment of a memory that there was something out there for that.

Thanks for that link!

Now, does anyone have a link to a third-party version that doesn't cost 50 gazillion dollars? ;-)

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Jan 10, 2011 at 3:49:09 pm

Now you better let ME know if you find that!

I think the Telemetrics stuff covers all of the same functions.

http://www.telemetricsinc.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.bro...

The other option if you are needing to go over 300' and are thinking of going the fiber route is the LiGHTBoX from Multidyne.

http://www.multidyne.com/productdetail.cfm?ProductID=234

Neither one is exactly a cheap alternative, but they are certainly cheaper and more functional.

Chuck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]