FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC-GY-HD100U Missing Footage

COW Forums : JVC cameras/decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Lied
JVC-GY-HD100U Missing Footage
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:51:43 am

I am shooting with a JVC-GY-HD100U. I have recently began to notice that parts of my footage does not get recorded or is lost. Usually the first 5 seconds or so of each clip gets lost when this happens, sometimes, entire clips are lost. When I play it back on my camera the clip goes black and the timecode stops until the next clip. When capturing, frames are constantly dropped and FCP is always searching for media. I am shooting in 720p 30 fps on standard Sony Mini DV tape.

Please, let me know if you have suggestions.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kris A. Wotipka
Re: JVC-GY-HD100U Missing Footage
on Mar 10, 2010 at 3:44:29 pm

Do you have a good tape that has been previously recorded with known footage? If so, try to play it back in the camera and see if you are not having head clog issues. I have seen one case where the heads would get funky in pause but when the tape started moving over the surface, it would clear enough to lay down a little bit of signal. It wasn't good but enough to make one scratch their head.

kris@wotipka.com
Image maker

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Peter Brewer
on Apr 5, 2010 at 12:23:33 pm

This has been a big firewire issue between JVC and FCP. Apparently other editing systems don't seem to have issues with TC breaks with JVC, just FCP. I use both JVC and FCP and love both of them! The solution I found was to capture the footage using DVHSCap (google it). It captures via firewire and I have never had a break in the footage. I also have a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card and capture footage with my JVC BR-50 deck using HDMI. Hope this helps. :)

Peter Brewer
http://www.indimax.com.au

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Peter Brewer
on Apr 5, 2010 at 12:45:22 pm

I also forgot to say that DVHSCap will create m2t files. Use a program called Clipwrap to rewrap the footage (not re-encode) into a mov file.

Peter Brewer

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:00:28 pm

Thank you Peter!!!
I have been fighting the JVC issue and have been able to grab the missing the frames but what a pain. Your solution is excellent! And the best part is that Clipwrap retains the original TC. Kudos.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Peter Brewer
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:02:47 pm

You're welcome. It's the best solution I've found so far :)

Peter Brewer

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Jun 29, 2010 at 5:09:47 pm

hmmm....
Well Clipwrap converted 2 shorter tapes (20-30 min) and 1 54-min tape rather quickly, but is having issues with the 4 remaining 55 min tapes. [I have been working on this for 30 hours now, and will not rent JVC again and will stick with the EX1 & 3] Clipwrap will get near the end of the encode and quit with a long error message to be sent to apple. Best luck so far was to reboot the MAC between conversions and only have 1 item at a time in the queue.

I am now trying to recapture those 3 tapes with DVHS on the intelMAC where I edit. I thought it might be that it captured past the end of the tape, but that's not consistent as others have encoded. All this for a stinkin' window burn? Ouch.

Clipwrap says it works extensively with JVC, but they don't elaborate on how they acquired the source footage.

Steve

Jump to the FFP Website

View Steve Kownacki's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]