I have a JVC HM700 that records in XDCAM 35mbit.
I can choose either a MOV (quicktime/final cut standard)wrapper or an MP4 (Sony standard) wrapper.
also you can convert lossly MOVs to MXF using Convergent Design's FileConverter.
You can convert lossly MP4 to MOVs using Sony's XDCAM
At present I've not found anything to convert from MOV or MXF to MP4
Here is what works for what
-------------- PC ---------- MAC
1) MXF realtime but stucks on long timelines
1) MP4 realtime. Not tested on long timelines
1) MOV need plugin (80$) plays jumpy (but ok in Quicktime)
2) Same as above
3) Doesn't exist
4) MXF Doesn't work and I don't know any way of converting it back to something else
4) MP4 is converted to MOV through Sony's plugin
4) MOV works fine in realtime
5) MXF works fine in realtime
5) MP4 Works fine (through importer?)
5) Need plugin and conversion?
6) Don't know.. same as above I think
A) Can you help me fill in the empty spaces in the scheme above and say if I'm wrong in something?
B) Do you know how to convert MXF in something else or how to convert from MOV to MP4 ?
In this case, MP4 is actually an MPEG-4 wrapper around an MPEG-2 codec.
MXF you should be able to log and transfer in to Final Cut with Sony's XDCAM utility.
What's your goal? What do you need to be able to convert to what, and why? Part of why the HM700 is so useful is that you can change your shooting format based on what software you're working in. Shoot .mov if you're going to Final Cut, .mp4 if you're going to anything else...
I know but sometimes I edit myself, sometimes I give footage to clients and some time is in between, where I edit some bits and they do some other. MXF worked fine for a TV production on AVID but same MXF was rejected by another client. I had to give them MOV and they had to buy the plugin etc... And still they don't have realtime playback (PC - Premiere).
Anyway.. I would like to be able to re-wrap in any direction to anything I need.
Here is what I found
MP4 to MXF (Sony's software)
MOV to MXF (Convergent Design File Converter)
MP4 to MOV (Sony's Software)